Photo

Article: The Idiocy of Pre-Ordering Games.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 GCN CMS

GCN CMS

Gunship

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:19 PM

Article: The Idiocy of Pre-Ordering Games.
Why you should never do such a thing!

"Article By The PolygunnerI have made mention of this before, but with the release of DOD it would be a good time to use this opportunity to explain to the gamers of the world, exactly what kind of"...download / view the rest of the content.
Click the above link if you wish to view the most up-to-date and complete article or file, this topic was automatically made as a portal for discussion of the content.

#2 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:55 PM

You failed to mention the fact that you get CS:CZ, HL1, DOD, CS, TFC, HL:S, HL:BS and HL:OP (not to mention you can then download NS and other top HL1 mods) with silver. Poly Im not gonna wait almost a year and miss out on all of that, untill I actually get DoD:S. Just to assure myself that extra 10 bucks was well spent. It appears DS is gonna have to compete for GCNs 'jew' title wink.gif

Edited by Coyote, 26 September 2005 - 11:55 PM.

user posted image

#3 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:08 AM

you know why i didn't mention those? its because i have all those packages, except for hlsource, and dod, everything else came with my bronze package so tongue.gif

but you brought up a great point. individualized value. You valued a game more then its monetary worth, and thats ok. I have a shitload of comic books that are well worth more then is on their box. hl2 will never be that way though, since its online distribution, it will never have a collectable value, or an entrensic value. the best you can look at it would be as a movie. something that goes into your head and thats bout it

but good point, to you its worth it, and thats ok. The point of my article was to help you understand your money. what its worth in your hands, and what its worth in others. and, what are potentially the effects of giving people money before you get the product.

are there any benefits to pre-ordering? I could understand in a shop so you can get it fast and not get there after its sold out, but what about over steam. is there any real tangible benefit?
user posted image

#4 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:21 AM

thank you Poly but I know what my $10 is worth wink.gif

BTW DoD:S isnt out for retail purchase in Aus and if im not mistaken anywhere else in the world apart from the US. Silver is not worth it to a very small minority.
user posted image

#5 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

poly, those who jump to conclusions often fall.
and you jumped to a helluva lot of conclusions.
dont your legs start to hurt after a while?
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#6 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:56 PM

nice sounding words when you put em together. kinda like an analogy, but wth does it have to do with anything?
user posted image

#7 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:40 PM

im sure youll figure it out eventually
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#8 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:01 PM

still though, thats like saying "tax cuts for the rich" it sounds neat, but really doesn't explain anything.

do you see some sort of benefit in spending your money on a game a year before it comes out? if so please explain
user posted image

#9 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:52 PM

U get HL source
user posted image

#10 Gantrithor

Gantrithor

Scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:03 AM

You get HL: Source anyways, but my answer would be that it isn't better, but it isn't any worse, either. If you buy it as soon as you can, you are guaranteeing yourself that you will have enough money to buy the game.

Also, on the other issue (buying online), as Coyoteh said, Silver is a kickass deal and guarantees you all of the games of the Collector's Edition with a sharp price drop.

By the way, I also bought a hard copy of the game while in Greece, so I do have something physical to remember it by. But I actually will remember waking up at 5:30am to play HL2, and I was sick for two days afterwards.

#11 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE(Gantrithor @ Oct 1 2005, 11:03 AM)
You get HL: Source anyways, but my answer would be that it isn't better, but it isn't any worse, either. If you buy it as soon as you can, you are guaranteeing yourself that you will have enough money to buy the game.

Also, on the other issue (buying online), as Coyoteh said, Silver is a kickass deal and guarantees you all of the games of the Collector's Edition with a sharp price drop.

By the way, I also bought a hard copy of the game while in Greece, so I do have something physical to remember it by. But I actually will remember waking up at 5:30am to play HL2, and I was sick for two days afterwards.

OMFG I wanna go to greece so bad. Visit all my relitives and go island hopping with mates. Anyways good point about the money saved from collector's edition.
user posted image

#12 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:15 AM

thats a good point ganthiator about garunteeing you have the product down the road, but if you put tht money into an interest bearing account, over the 2 year period of time, you could make your bronze package generate the revenue to buy the silver package
user posted image

#13 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(polyguns @ Oct 1 2005, 12:15 PM)
thats a good point ganthiator about garunteeing you have the product down the road, but if you put tht money into an interest bearing account, over the 2 year period of time, you could make your bronze  package generate the revenue to buy the silver package

Bullplop. If you put 10 dollers in the bank over 2 years you will most likely owe the bank money due to bank fees. Face it Poly, for all the benifits you get 10 bucks aint much to spend.
user posted image

#14 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:10 AM

damn noone give coyote any money for investment.

i remember the days when you had to pay fees at banks, like 20 years ago. here its cso competative that you never have to pay fees.

see coyote, thats the point of banks, theres no need to charge you money for putting it in, cause they charge interest on loans they make with your money. they want your money. shitty aussie banks+\s
user posted image

#15 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:45 AM

Polyguns knows everything. dry.gif

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users