12 replies to this topic

#1 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 05:47 AM

I been reading some HL editing/mapping tutorials, and it mentions "brushes" alot of times. It gets confuse what the writer refers to as brushes..as he doesnt explain them.

Can someone explain "brushes" are in HL editing, and maybe give some examples of it!?

Edited by iceman, 22 July 2003 - 05:48 AM.

#2 steampowered

steampowered

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:27 AM

The short answer is: drawing tools.

#3 MrChimp

MrChimp

Demonic Poster

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:30 AM

i thought it was those box thingies... i dunno i never mapped for HL
Buy stock in Chimp and co!

http://forums.hl2cen...ct=ST&f=2&t=806

#4 SLAYER

SLAYER

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 07:58 PM

A brush is a physical object in the 3d gaming enviroment. There are extensions to the brush such as movers (doors, lifts ect.) and meshes ( higher poly objects imported by other 3d programs). Basically anything that can be collided with is a brush.
user posted image

#5 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:53 PM

icic. So are particles consider brushes?

#6 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 04:51 AM

No, that's not a really good definition... In Radiant, or Worldcraft or whatever game you are editing for, a brush is a convex shape that makes up the world. It's like a LEGO, but can be any size or shape. Typically, the compile process removes the unseen faces of the brushes automatically, but some games with some compilers don't, so you do it manually, typically be texturing them with something that tells the compiler to cull that face.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#7 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 08:28 AM

ic. dang so can't really create concave shapes...damn.

Edited by iceman, 23 July 2003 - 08:28 AM.

#8 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 07:02 PM

You can, you just have to make them out of multiple brushes. Instead of one brush in an L shape, you have two brushes that create the L shape.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#9 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:49 AM

particles. since i dont know how developed the particles are..was it possible to add image clip on a particle spawn, use to create custom sprite images? was there options for animated clips? any info on particles pros and cons would be really HELPFUL!

#10 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 03:51 AM

Wha? English please.

#11 Duo

Duo

Manhack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 06:10 PM

I understand it partially.
It IS possible to use custom sprites. Either in the Valve Hammer Editor and in HL.
The http://collective.valve-erc.com might have information on this.
If thats not what you ment then check the Collective anyway because they have ALOT of information.
user posted image

#12 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 01:32 AM

i see something call sprite explorer.

What i mean was. in console games, sometimes they use a technique to create trees that look good,without having to create each leaf. They use a particles, that are then places on the trees where the leaves would be. the particles would be spawning a 2D billboard sprite images..and it always faces the camera. I was wonder if they was possible in the HL2 source engine..since nothing is own about particles system.

I would also like the ability to control the sprite images RGBA values also..so i can create some nice seasonal changes(summer to fall). This would allow me to create a tree in the summer and when fall season come, the leave would change color to orange/red/brown and start falling. i got alot of experiment i want to try..

Also, is it possible to create or customize the hammer editor with your own brushes or tools?like in XSI you can script your own tools.would be really cool..!!!

Edited by iceman, 25 July 2003 - 01:42 AM.

#13 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 04:27 AM

Trees are usually just 3D models with RGBA or partially transparent textures on them. Particles I have only seen used in 3dmark, which is high end benchmarking that is meant to look really nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users