4 replies to this topic

#1 Darkside

Darkside

omg hl2 = teh delayed

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:05 AM

I'm curious. Supposedly HL2 will be able to be scaled down to run on less powerful systems. In that case, do modellers have to make multiple versions of the models, like high, medium and low poly ones. Then when you lower details it also replaces the model with the crappier one? Or does the game usually jsut kind of do that itself?

#2 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 06:29 AM

they have that any ways, they're called LOD's level of detail. Hl2 will have minimal system requirements, so if a machine can't run it, it won't. is what will change is sound quality and video quality, things like antialiasing, or the refractions in the tectures, and the quality of the particles. in your average scene, you wouldn't have more then 50 000 polies i bet, and toggling and animating a model in realtime in a 3d ap with 50 000 polies isn't that hard on even an older machine, but when ou add hte textures, and refractions, bump mapping, all that is where alot of the power comes into play. i mean, adding a bump map to a model and doin a render, really increases the render time, im just amazed how they can add it in realitime on everything, especially things like raytracing, i just think thats amazing, cause that really adds super render times. I would bet, but don't totally know for sure, but i would reakon you could create a 50 000 poly model and animate him with no textures(or very low res white textures ) and a very plane environment in hl2, and run it with no problem, just from 3d experience, most of the render time is in the 2d and envoironmental aspect of the scene, not the actual 3d geometry
user posted image

#3 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• [Colossus]> Colossus Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 11:48 AM

u set the fps yourself i guess, then the game scales things to make fps good at all time, this probably includes changing lod to a lower poly one if the sene gets clogged with highpoly shit.

i dont mind, ive got a gaming rig.

u guys with cs rigs might be worried. but get a good dx9 card and this should be fun smile.gif
user posted image
"He who trades liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both."
- Thomas Jefferson

#4 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 12:08 PM

polyguns: perfect explanation, just what i was gonna say smile.gif
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#5 Darkside

Darkside

omg hl2 = teh delayed

• GCN Staff
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:41 AM

w00t I think i get it now. I have a 64 MB Radeon 9000 and 1.7 Ghz athalon. I might get a new graphic card. I want a 128 MB one but I don't want to spend more than 150 on it. And I prefer ATI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users