39 replies to this topic

#1 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 11:58 PM

Hey all, I just wanna say that most of you look like really good modellers, and I am glad to be here with you guys smile.gif

but now, about the models, I just want to say that some ppl are making really nice, detailed, in depth models of their weapons and players, but the thing is, what is the polygon limit for the HL2 weapon models and such? I read on that one FAQ done with Valve that it is about 7500 for player models, and (if i am mistaken corect me) 3000 or so for weapons.
to me that seems low, but i may be wrong (probably am, too).
I just wanna say, guys, dont go putting in so much maaaad detail into your models and stuff just yet, until we know more info. honestly, i would seriously hate it if all you guys put so much work and detail into your models and then needed to cut the poly counts down, because for me anyways that is a tedious chore. ph34r.gif

and now, i will continue working on my M16A4 w/M203 model for my mod Point of Impact.
good luck on your models and mods everyone! biggrin.gif

--Matt "Maxx" Kazan
maxx@planethalflife.com
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#2 [Guest]»Xcentric_*

[Guest]»Xcentric_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2003 - 04:07 AM

I actually heard 8k for player... And 5k for weapons. Seems like a LOT but hey, more detail.

#3 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 04:18 AM

true, thats more than what I heard, but hey, the more the merrier right?
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#4 M60_Gunner

M60_Gunner

Manhack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 07:51 AM

the more the laggier biggrin.gif
user posted image
"an argument online is like the special olympics. Whether you win or lose, you're still a retard."

#5 MrChimp

MrChimp

Demonic Poster

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 08:20 AM

depends
Buy stock in Chimp and co!

http://forums.hl2cen...ct=ST&f=2&t=806

#6 Short_Fuse

Short_Fuse

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 09:49 AM

What i heard was

Alex 7000
Other characters (Zombies) 3000-4000 cause there can be a lot of them on screen at once
First Person Weapons 2000
Chaos Ops 3D Modeler

Skin Mapping a Beretta 92fs tutorial.

#7 ice_cube

ice_cube

Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 12:54 PM

we don't know the engine limits, but the # of polygons that can be used practically will mostly be limited by the clients system.

another "limitation": polygons polygons can only have 3 edges(no hidden edges etc. 1poly=face (technical limitation, nothing practical - those who don't know what i'm talking about, don't worry wink.gif))

#8 Jat

Jat

Ant Lion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 12:56 PM

Oh dude, soo far away from the truth, it aint the poly count that makes the realism, its mainly the texturing, hl1 models had something like 90 polys, a plain estimate on opening the grunt model. But it was textured in such a good way that it looked gr8.

It aint the polys that makes the realism, its texturing, lighting and polys that does that.

Doom3 models are about the same, they aint half a million or 50,000 like some of you think. they are still around in 3000 to 10 000, i dont know the top range cause i dont know how many polys that doom3 or hl2 will have but i bet max on any model it wont go over 10, 000 cause ur pc would loose it and die

#9 [Guest]»Xcentric_*

[Guest]»Xcentric_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2003 - 04:01 PM

Polys also add more detail to weapons I was thinking, on weapons. You can add more grooves, nooks n crannys, and otherthings just for eyecandy.

#10 Hiro_Protaganist

Hiro_Protaganist

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 06:32 PM

personally i've been doing just above 2500 polys for weopons, of course if they use the _w _p system then i'll be able to drop those poly counts. The problem with doing 5k polys is that most people don't have a Radeon 9800 with gigs upon gigs of ram so it's not really feasable in mod making to make super high poly weapons cause you'll just end up losing a large quanity of player with low to mid level machines.

Plus with the ability to use bump mapping ingame you can make up a lot of polys in the skin. Perfect example are the grooves in the cooling chanmber of an m16a2 if you add the grooves into the mesh you end up with a 5k cooling chamber. Conversly you can use bump maps and achieve the same effect on a 10 sided cylender thats only about 100 poly's

Edited by Hiro_Protaganist, 13 July 2003 - 06:35 PM.

When the Going Get's Weird;
The weird turn pro.
user posted image

#11 [Guest]»Xcentric_*

[Guest]»Xcentric_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2003 - 06:44 PM

*Noob Question* Whats Bump Mapping? I've heard A LOT about it but no one has explained

#12 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 03:47 AM

bump mapping is where u make a black and white picture of things like scratches, bumps on metal, and other small details.
when u use this under the actual skin, when light hits the model it acts as if those scratches and other fine detials were there, so the light reacts accordingly, so it doesnt look flat.
i hope that answers you question Xcentric smile.gif
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#13 [Guest]»Xcentric_*

[Guest]»Xcentric_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2003 - 05:10 AM

Wow. That sounds really cool. Thanks for the explanation!

#14 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:02 AM

np man.
bump mapping is great, u dont have to waste polys on details that can be "drawn" on
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#15 [Guest]»Xcentric_*

[Guest]»Xcentric_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:07 AM

I thought it basicly changed the model around by moving faces while in the game, hence bumping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users