39 replies to this topic

#31 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (ice_cube @ Jul 13 2003, 12:54 PM)
another "limitation": polygons polygons can only have 3 edges

That's not entirely true. Depending on the engine, you may be able to have polygons with more than three sides, but it may be fake. Jedi Knight lets you have polygons with any number of sides as long as it doesn't have more than 24 vertices, I believe JK splits up these polygons into triangles automatically. However, OpenGL and Direct3D are capable of rendering quads, polygons, etc. without doing each triangle individually.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#32 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 12:41 AM

nice definition there emon!
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#33 ice_cube

ice_cube

Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:13 AM

Well, I know that, but i was talking about(as did the thread starter) limitations in the HL2 engine - where polygons are indeed limited to 3 edges. (i know this because i got it from a Valve employee)

#34 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 01:18 AM

Right.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#35 StealthCat

StealthCat

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:01 PM

From what i have heard, you can use a good chunk of polys for your weapons and players, then the engine will scale back depending on the client preformance.
There are no impossible problems, only impossible solutions.

#36 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:29 PM

yeah thats true, i heard that too.
they were using the same technology idea in TF2.
speaking of TF2, do you guys think they will make TF2 the 1st mod available to HL2? i wouldnt be suprised if they did the same thing they did with TFC
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#37 j.bellone

j.bellone

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 12:58 AM

I believe that in a recent interview Valve said that the dune buggy that was featured in the chase film was roughly 12,000 polys but it would be toned down before HL2 shipped in September.

I doubt that this is the engine's limit, but more of the limit of the hardware that Valve wishes to support (lowest is 700mhz with a GF2 64mb or equiv? ... might be mistaken) at a decent frame rate. I don't think that HL1 characters were as low as 90 polys, I believe during some interview they mentioned the CS model polygons were around 1,200 per player model (or that is how high the CZ models will be). So you're probably looking at a 500-900 average poly-per-model in HL1.

If you want to only support a system running the latest hardware then sure, you could load up the game with 3,000 weapon models, 8,000 character models, and 200-800 prop models, but I'm sure you'd need a hellva system to run something like that... and most games want to support the lowest they can go without reducing the graphics too much.

Edited by j.bellone, 07 August 2003 - 12:59 AM.

-John "bkt" Bellone [blog] [devjournal]
Flipside Software [link] [forums]
Born of War (WW2 Action for HL2!) [link] [fan site]
System: AMD64 3400, ASUS KV8 SE Deluxe, 1GB Corsair DDR 3200, Radeon 9800P 256MB

#38 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 01:45 AM

No, HL was around a hundred, but CS just added more.

#39 joe_joe133

joe_joe133

Citadel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 08:51 PM

Emon I agree Doom III has weird texture I don't like it I think HL2 has MUCH better texture.
user posted image

#40 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 02:29 PM

CS didnt add that much more, CS player models are hidious. ugly skins, ugly animations, ugly ugly ugly tongue.gif
Natural Selection has much better biggrin.gif
Natural Selection = the official past time of the Entropy/POI:GC team wink.gif
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users