well what is it?

#2 Low Profile

Low Profile

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:14 PM

for low poly moddelling it's max all the way!

I also do some high quality nurbs moddeling with a program called rhino, but nothing can beat max!
just get some plugins, brazil renderer and a few scripts, and there's nothing you can't do wink.gif

#3 Liquid

Liquid

Citadel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:19 PM

Nothing really does beat Max. Som say maya is good, but maya is more industrial move type stuff. Ugh.
user posted image
Rebel Rebel, Bitch Bitch, Rebel Rebel, Party Party, Sex Sex Sex & Don't Forget The Violence.

#4 joe_joe133

joe_joe133

Citadel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:21 PM

I can't model sad.gif i have used milkshape a few times
user posted image

#5 zim

zim

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:47 PM

max is easy to learn, but hard to master, i suggest trying it! its fun!
-Zim

#6 [Guest]ğlink84_*

[Guest]ğlink84_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2003 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Low Profile @ Aug 19 2003, 09:14 PM)
for low poly moddelling it's max all the way!

I also do some high quality nurbs moddeling with a program called rhino, but nothing can beat max!
just get some plugins, brazil renderer and a few scripts, and there's nothing you can't do wink.gif

Maya 5.0 sure the fuck kills max. Max blows ass its set up is so danm bulky and shit on the side it just obstructs stuff. Maya 5.0 is where its at. Where can you achieve realistic water and wakes in under 15 minutes? All i use is maya 5.0 anymore. I used to have max but it sucked to much.

Max was easy as pie to learn. there are probably a little more good things but maya just has more

#7 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 04:33 AM

Max 5.0 all the way baby!
and dude, what good does the water tool for Maya do you when you are making player or weapon models for HL2? none!
also, does anyone know how to work brazil renderer?
whenever i set it up and use it, it doesnt use antialaising on the render and it just looks dead ugly.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#8 [Guest]ğlink84_*

[Guest]ğlink84_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2003 - 04:59 AM

also the dynamics in maya 5.0 are faster and much much more plentiful and easier to use then in the dreaded max

#9 laxin84

laxin84

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 05:08 AM

3D Studio Max is easily more powerful than Maya. That's why many more major companies use Max than Maya. Maya is more popular with end-users who don't know as much about what they are doing. (IE - Link...)
"People who sin say this; that they had to to survive. People who sin say this; it's too late now to stop. The shadow called sin dogs them steadily from behind silently, without a word. Remorse and agony are repeated, only to end up at despair in the end. But the sinners just don't know that if they'd only turn around there's a light there, a light which keeps shining on them ever so warmly, a light that will never fade." - And Between the Wasteland and Sky... (Trigun)

#10 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 06:12 AM

3ds max, Maya, Lightwave, even Softimage. It's all basically the same stuff. There used to be a time when they were quite different, in terms of features and price. But it seems they have just run together as of late, each one emulating the distinguishing features of the others.

Mirai, now there is an incredible peice of software. Very intuitive. It was used for animation and maybe modeling of Gollum in the LotR movies. Nendo is a cheap, $100 alternative that doesn't support as much stuff, like the animations. Wings 3D is a free modeling application based on Nendo.

This site has some videos of Bay Raitt, the artist behind the aforementioned Gollum. You click on the pictures on the right for the download links, the bottom one is the only that I can get working. It's a sped up or timelapse video of Raitt working in Mirai throughout an afternoon. He starts with nothing, and within minutes of the video he has the basics of some kind of humanoid creature, and by the end of the day, it is high poly, extremely detailed, and fully animated.

Personally, though, I use 3ds max for modeling. There's no reason for me to use anything else, and Mirai is pretty hard to obtain, even illegally. Although I hear it may be making a comeback soon. Oh, and I use Milkshape for a few of it's features, like file formats that I can't get plugins for 3ds max or ones as good as Milkshape's.

Also, Maxx, I'm not sure about the Brazil renderer, but I don't know why you'd want it if you have Max 5. Brazil's is crap, Max is unspeakably better. And you may want to get the 5.1 update, it fixed some critical errors for me, although you may not have them.

Last also, the HL2 SDK is supposed to include softimage|exp, a free version of softimage|xsi, for students and learning. Similar to Gmax or Maya PLE. Valve is supposed to have dotXSI plugins for it. Assuming it's dotXSI 3.0, we could use it for free modeling and animation for games on Raven's Q3 build, like Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, and Soldier of Fortune II!
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#11 [Guest]ğlink84_*

[Guest]ğlink84_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2003 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (laxin84 @ Aug 20 2003, 05:08 AM)
3D Studio Max is easily more powerful than Maya. That's why many more major companies use Max than Maya. Maya is more popular with end-users who don't know as much about what they are doing. (IE - Link...)

well next time before you attempt a flame actually do atleast some research. What is the LOTR trilogy and the matrix trilogy using for software. Maya. Pixar and dreamworks both use maya in thier 3d films and probably all of them. South park uses maya. 95% of the stuff in shrek was all done on you can probably guess it o yea thats correct maya. FF the movie = maya. Grand turismo = maya. Almost all discovery channel special FX are done on maya. Maya is the industry standard and is the most powerful on the market. here are some images done only in MAYA. Not to even mention all the dynamics and fluid and particle effects are much much better and more plentiful. Also on maya NOTHING clutters the screen like on max where you have that side bar yet in maya you can access everything you want 3 times over on the same screen (top bar, spacebar, and then the menu bar under the file stuff since you have obviously never used it)

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

http://www.alias.com...the_rings.jhtml

UT 2003 even includes maya PLE cause they used maya for thier models and wanted customers to make thier own

#12 SLAYER

SLAYER

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 11:28 AM

It really comes down to the artist. There has been great work created in practically every 3d app out there today, and to say which one is the best is ludicrous.
user posted image

#13 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 04:24 PM

It all depends on the artist. Maya is not more powerful than Max, Max is not more powerful than Maya. Unless you consider power to be a set of tools that do everything for you because you're too lazy...
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#14 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 06:58 PM

basically yeah.
i guess its like this, just love what you got. and if you dont got what you love, love what you want tongue.gif
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#15 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 07:32 PM

What's the point of this thread? Link84 is clearly a Maya fanboy, and will ignorantly bash anyone who disagrees or uses something else. It would appear that he made this thread entirely so he could insult other people and their software. rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users