31 replies to this topic

#16 toadie

toadie

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:21 AM

Milkshape... because it does exactly What the box says it does.... it's got no extra features.. .it can import and export to nearly every 3D format known to man... it's plain and unconfusing....

That said, someday I'd like to make a break into Max.. just to see what it's like...

#17 Nith Sahor

Nith Sahor

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Emon @ Aug 20 2003, 06:12 AM)
Assuming it's dotXSI 3.0, we could use it for free modeling and animation for games on Raven's Q3 build, like Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, and Soldier of Fortune II!

No, you can't use it for SOF2 because the SOF2 community still hasn't created their own skeleton (like Corto did for JK2) with the face and other bones that are not in the SDK released from Raven.

Oh and as for my favorite modelling software, it would have to be Max. I have both Max and Maya, and although I haven't had much time to learn how to use Maya properly, I must admit that some of the features, like texture baking and particles, seem very interesting. Max is easy to use, I am able to make some good things with it, and its got some good plugins. I would have pursued Maya modelling further had I found a MD3 export plugin that worked for Maya 5.0...

#18 [Guest]»ihatecoffman666_*

[Guest]»ihatecoffman666_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2003 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (Emon @ Aug 20 2003, 04:24 PM)
It all depends on the artist. Maya is not more powerful than Max, Max is not more powerful than Maya. Unless you consider power to be a set of tools that do everything for you because you're too lazy...

No youre wrong cause think of it logically. MAYA beats max at everything particles dynamics fuilds and then the prebuilt stuff is awesome. does a electric screwdriver do the same as a screw driver? No one does it quicker and easier which would be the maya in this case

#19 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:55 AM

1. Corto just added a face bone for JO, that was missing in the files Raven gave us (Raven doesn't even know why it was missing). It would be possible to fix problems like this for SoFII, if they even exist. Just dump the GLA, get all the bone information, recreate it yourself if you need to.

2. ihatecoffeeman999, an electric screwdriver still gets the same end result as a screw driver. Maya can do things faster, sure, I'm not arguing that.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#20 SLAYER

SLAYER

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 04:05 AM

Did you know you can make a ripple in water in less than 5 minutes in max?

Create plane and asign a warp to it. Done.

All programs have features others don't have. If Maya were truly the best app out there, that's all people would use. The last time I checked Max, Lightwave and Softimage were being used very frequently in the film and gaming industry, probably the same amount if not more than Maya.

It comes down to your workflow and how YOU can get things done in the end. No 3d application does the work for you, there will always be a need for creative input from a person and that's what makes these programs.
user posted image

#21 Priest

Priest

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 05:03 PM

Hmmm...I'm a 3dsmax user, only for the simple reason that my friend gave it to me. I have the Maya PLE, and I must admit, it looks a lot cleaner and a bit more fun to use. The truth is, I know a bit more about the gaming industry itself rather than the actual modeling.

And from what I've heard, since Alias|Wavefront got that Oscar way back in March, gaming industry job-hirers are looking for people with Maya experience. It's the "new big thing," I guess you could say. As we move forward into high-poly modeling rather than traditional low-poly stuff, Maya seems to be the one that most people can churn good stuff out with. This whole new drive with www.masteringunreal.com and it's association with using Maya is getting a lot of people to use that particular program. 3DSMax is losing a bit of steam in the market I'd say.

#22 s_e00

s_e00

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 04:26 AM

max 5.1
Signature Disabled
PM an Admin to have Changed/Unlocked
Pyramid Schemes are illegal, as is posting links to them.

#23 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 04:15 PM

ihatecoffman66 = link84?
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#24 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 05:20 AM

you should becareful when starting a thread like this, it USUALLY ends up in flame wars, intended or NOT.

I have experienced in many 3DCG software. What i like most about Max is it flexible modifier stack, where you can mute any modifier and see the end result right away, as far as i know XSI can not do this "yet".

I like XSI for its future prospect. The development rate is the fastest in the industry, new version every 6 month. This is a important issue when picking a software. Also i like XSI for its BEST intergration with MR 3.2. Max and Maya doesnt have this tight intergration(even though they claim it does;))

As far as dynamics, Maya as the best dynamics and particles, next to the almighty Houdini.

I like Nendo, for its awesome polygon tools, they are solid. Mirai for its animation..just the best for character and the likes.

Lightwave: I like its material editor, very simple and straight forward, but very powerful indeed.

Max, for its very very fast scanline render.

Rhino: best industry NURBS toolsets.

I only mention the pros of each software. there are cons also,but i wont name them. might cause some people to get upset.

#25 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 10:06 PM

Well said. What you pointed out proves there is no single software that can dominate.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#26 ice_cube

ice_cube

Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 September 2003 - 11:37 AM

/me totally agrees with Emon

#27 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 05:08 AM

Yeah, if there was a PERFECT software out there i'd drop everything else and use that..there isnt.

I use the tool that does the job best, and import/export to another tool. Thats why many movie company have different software. They even create their own software, if no software can meet their needs.

All in all, it doesnt matter what software you use, as long as you can get the job done asap. But , to each his own cool.gif

#28 AppleDonkey

AppleDonkey

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 06:29 AM

PAINT IS THE BEST STUPIDS, MICROSOFT KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING I MAY NOT EXACTLY HAVE "MODELS" BUT I DAMN HELL CAN MAKE THINGS THAT ARE BETTER THAT I CAN PRINT, GLUE ONTO POPSICLE STICKS AND WAVE THEM IN FRONT OF MY MONITOR. ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS WRONG!!!
MIYA AND 3DMAX ARE USED BY PEOPLE WHO DONT COMPUTER STUPIDS!

seriously... have a preference and get over it who cares, huray for you if you like a specific software, you dont need to fight for its existence

-=K=-

#29 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 09:17 PM

the PERFECT software is the one im gonna make!muhahaha

alot of software maker do not understand tools yet. they way they create a tool...and they have another tool that does something else. modeling tools should be interchangable. that would make them more robust and flexible. Having one tool do something and having another tool do something similair is not good. does that make sense? blink.gif dry.gif

#30 zimnick

zimnick

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 03:32 AM

So, for someone starting out, what do you guys suggest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users