37 replies to this topic

#31 NsNr8r

NsNr8r

Ant Lion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 03:20 AM

the xsi they have right now works fine.. but you have to have some mega resolution. So a lot of us can't run it properly. Max 6 is out and running well.. I like it kinda, but until i get the new maya, it's gonna be the only thing i got.
My brain hurts.

#32 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:23 AM

I really want to try Maya. I do like Max, but often it seems slow and counter-intuitive and productive. It's not streamlined for speed, it would appear.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#33 NsNr8r

NsNr8r

Ant Lion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:38 PM

I totally agree, I'm not fast at max anyway, I just started with it, there's a tutorial for efficient and fast modeling with max somewhere on this forum, I'm sure with a little looking around in the modeling section you might find it
My brain hurts.

#34 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• [Colossus]> Colossus Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 10:19 PM

i dont really mind the speed of max, its more the small stuff, the little glitches that can happen, that turns me off. but dont get me wrong, i just complain because i use it, and want these things gone with a patch, not having to buy a new version every year. if 3d studio max wants easy money, they should make a game engine to go with the 2d studio, so that modders would only need 3d studi to make a new game. in that way all the mods that wanted to start selling the game they have modded out, would have to pay royalties to discreet (makers of 3ds) and discreet could give out 3dstudio for a much less prize, but make more money cos gamestudios used them, now they are loosing theyr customers cos xsi thought of going into partnership with hl2.

so what im basically saying is, for the future xsi is the thing to learn.

ill learn it once it comes out with hl2 (wich could be tomorrow, next year, or in a 100 years from now.).
user posted image
"He who trades liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both."
- Thomas Jefferson

#35 NsNr8r

NsNr8r

Ant Lion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 05:41 AM

I'd learn it right now, but my stupid video card and monitor are so old they don't handle the required resolution tongue.gif
My brain hurts.

#36 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE (magnetmannen @ Nov 12 2003, 10:19 PM)
i dont really mind the speed of max, its more the small stuff, the little glitches that can happen, that turns me off. but dont get me wrong, i just complain because i use it, and want these things gone with a patch, not having to buy a new version every year. if 3d studio max wants easy money, they should make a game engine to go with the 2d studio, so that modders would only need 3d studi to make a new game. in that way all the mods that wanted to start selling the game they have modded out, would have to pay royalties to discreet (makers of 3ds)  and discreet could give out 3dstudio for a much less prize, but make more money cos gamestudios used them, now they are loosing theyr customers cos xsi thought of going into partnership with hl2.

so what im basically saying is, for the future xsi is the thing to learn.

ill learn it once it comes out with hl2 (wich could be tomorrow, next year, or in a 100 years from now.).

Max or XSI both have there down sides, i can tell you XSI booleans are so great either. booleans, are hard for many software, especailly DCC tools. CAD/CAM software can do booleans like CRAZY with proper results no matter how complex or bad your mesh is,but thats another story.

If you want to learn XSI, you should NOT wait for it to come out. You can download XSI Experience 3.0 from softimage site, it has tut and docs with the software. the downside is a watermark in the renders.

There would be some sort of XSI software that comes with HL2 SDK..but thats to be seen.

Oh i would stay away from XSI boolean..wink.gif and yes, XSI has better animation tools(NLA). XSI was more meant for large scale production pipeline whereas Max wasnt. but Max still has a more mature set of Polygon modeling tools. Subd does to XSI, much better and faster.

XSI 4.0 is coming out this Christmas...thats a new version every 6 month(Let see Discreet top that). 4.0 has some very cool tools. Sortly after XSI 4.0 is release..XSI 4.0 Expereince CD would be release to the general public.

one last thing, as far as BOOLEAN goes, between Maya, Max, and XSI. Maya booleans are superior cool.gif

Edited by iceman, 15 November 2003 - 06:24 AM.

#37 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (NsNr8r @ Nov 13 2003, 05:41 AM)
I'd learn it right now, but my stupid video card and monitor are so old they don't handle the required resolution tongue.gif

lol..You can run XSI at lower resolution too, but you need to create a custom layout for it. It better than nothing. You can download layouts at:

http://www.edharriss.com/

#38 2d-chris

2d-chris

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 02:56 AM

guys, this program is like $3500 ::::::::: P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users