24 replies to this topic

#1 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:44 PM

As big of a loser as I am, I spent 4 hours last night on one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had, Matto 3. This is Mattos 3rd map, and I must say, he outshined himself, and every other single player experience Ive ever had, including Farcry, Hl2, or Doom 3.

There were 2 previous Farcry singleplayer maps I use to tout: Outpost 22, and SP_Madman, while both were amazingly fun, none have achieved the level of quality of Matto 3

I'll begin this article with an overall description of the mod. If you don't want to read SPOILERS, please stop NOW!.

Matto 3 is not a run and gun game. It requires intelligence, and stealth. picking and choosing your angles, and knowing when to get the hell out of there. The mod includes custom characters, custom animations (or blended farcry animations) of Jack Carver, custom weapons, and a very suprising ending. The mission logging is a great feature to this mod. Hit tab, and it will tell you what mission you completed, and give you a tip of others to come. There is also a fantastic bullett time scene.

You begin on a submarine with some crappy 70's music playing, your alarm clock wakes you, and you begin your journey. One of the great features of thiis mod/map, is the ability to set your own mood music. Scattered across the map, are radios, with a variety of channels to choose from. There are also some custom weapons in the game, my favorite, being the silenced pistol.

Matto did a great job regarding the silenced pistol and the enemy AI. As long as the other soldiers don't see or hear the guy complain about getting shot, they won't react. So if you crouch, stay in the bushes, and go for headshots, you can kill in ways remenicent of Sam Fisher, sneak up and buck their asses.

Like any other farcry map, you want to have a good idea of where your enemies are located before charging into an area, so make sure that you have your trusty binocs, or you'll soon find yourself dead. These battles are very well placed. Theres no long walks without some action, but not so cramped you get overwhelmed by an onslaught of attackers. Battles take place outdoors, and indoors, in caves, wearhouses, man it goes on and on. The variety of this one map would be comperable to 5-6 maps in any other game. Matto 3 also uses the nonlinear gameplay better then I've ever seen it before, even from Crytek.

Once you get inside, you would think this would be the end, as you've completed a great deal of the gameplay already. But in Matto 3, its only the beginning.

The indoor aspect of a level is beautifully designed to use the cryengine to its fullest. Matto uses shaders in very creative ways, creating a freezer in one section of the map thats simply awsome. Lights are positioned to both hide the enemies, and give away their location. Often in the game, I would use the projected shadows of the enemies to tell their location, and often, lights glaring in my eyes would hide their locations from me. Walk around a corder, get blinded, then shot. The enemies are so well positioned, and so smart, you really have to engage them as you would in real life. sometimes luring them out to a position you choose to engage them. At one point, I chucked a grenade at an enemy, and he returned the favor, trapping me in between 2 grenades. IT WAS AWSOME!

To let you know How massive this level is, At one point, after playing over an hour, I backtracked to get health, and found a new passage, that still led me to the end of the game. I never continued down that first path, so i will happily play it again to see what i missed. (possibly an alternate ending?)

I could go on and on and on about this map, But its best that people play it for themselves. A mod created by one person of this quality within such a small period of time (his third map) speaks loads about the camabilities of the editor, and its application to creating great mods. You can find the homepage here.

Matto 3 could be an expansion pack by itself. ThePolyGunner gives it two blazing guns in the air!

user posted image

#2 SewerCow

SewerCow

The gayest straight man ever

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:30 PM

Where can I dl this mod, I'm looking for any farcry single player mods.
user posted image
Muchas Gracias DJShamrock for the sig. :)

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven. -Deus Ex: The Conspiracy

I'm not killing anyone, I'm just enjoying my second amendment right. -The one and only, your's truly-

When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth. -Dawn of the Dead-

#3 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

www.crymod.com has it on their front page. Ive not heard a bad review yet. I had way more fun on this then even hl2 ravenholm
user posted image

#4 Darkside

Darkside

omg hl2 = teh delayed

• GCN Staff
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:01 AM

God damn, I might have to actually buy a cheap copy of farcry eventually.

#5 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:58 AM

no! dont do it!
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#6 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:15 AM

Yea poly has already stooped one of us into buying that game rolleyes.gif . Fastest game ive finished, it did have some replay value because it was different each time what guns were there and vehicles and where people were.
Ya, rly.

#7 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:54 PM

actually the guns people and vehicles are the same each time you play it, its jsut the way you can lpay changes to fit your style.

took me bout 2 months to beat that thing, caust it was so hard
user posted image

#8 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:49 PM

the one level where you attack the last radio antenna. There are vehicles in tents, there were different ones each time I played the level, and fewer and less boats docked right next to it, and different people.
Ya, rly.

#9 SewerCow

SewerCow

• Senior Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(The PC Nerd @ Jun 5 2005, 01:15 AM)
Yea poly has already stooped one of us into buying that game  rolleyes.gif . Fastest game ive finished, it did have some replay value because it was different each time what guns were there and vehicles and where people were.

Fastest game, you must have played it on easy or didn't give it the time of day to take a look at the surroundings. Try to beat it on the hardest, that will keep you entertained for a good month straight.

Edited by SewerCow, 05 June 2005 - 07:28 PM.

user posted image

I'm not killing anyone, I'm just enjoying my second amendment right. -The one and only, your's truly-

When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth. -Dawn of the Dead-

#10 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

When faster reaction time and accuracy are taken out of "difficulty" in AI i will play hard, for now i usually do normal unless they have, like in halo, heroic before the hardest.
Ya, rly.

#11 SewerCow

SewerCow

• Senior Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:35 PM

I beat it on normal 6 months ago, now I am playing it on hardest and it is really fun, lots funner, so much more challenging.
user posted image

#12 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

its the most dynamic game ever made no doubt. so underestimated by so many. you even play matto 3 yet sewercow? most peeps round here prolly won't try it, I need your untarnished view tongue.gif

I didn't expect much, since matto and matto 2 werent the best, but i was wowed, im gonna go play it now

user posted image

#13 SewerCow

SewerCow

• Senior Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:07 AM

No, not yet, I got off track a little bit ago, but I am dling it now. Also, poly, did you update the 64 bit farcry patch yet? (or do you even have the requirements to play it) It looks pretty sweet, better graphics, bugs, and suprisingly, EVEN BETTER WATER DETAIL!
user posted image

#14 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 01:49 AM

1.31 i think is my last version

Edited by polyguns, 06 June 2005 - 01:50 AM.

user posted image

#15 SewerCow

SewerCow

• Senior Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

Yeah same here, If I had the X64 OS and I was using my 64 bit processor, I would dl it. I did play Matto, it is pretty cool and I love that sniper pistol, but I hate the lag, I put graphics down to 800x600 and it still lagged. Oh well I will be playing it on a better computer in a few weeks.
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users