#1 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/7101834.stm

This is a major breakthrough. Scientists have managed to create stem cells ("building block" cells that can be turned into any cell) from skin tissue. This means that embryos do not need to be used, which proved controversial. George Bush was very much against this and this new breakthrough will mean that it is easier for scientists to research new disease cures, as limitations were placed on them previously.

The stem cells themselves can't be used directly in people because they were created by a virus that could pose a risk to people, but they can be used for research purposes in mice. They are working on refining the method so that they can be used with people. They have a lot of uses from repairing damaged organs and tissue to reversing ageing (which is a little scary).

I'm pretty sure that this will win the Nobel Peace Price next year because of the implications of this discovery.

#2 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

Yeah I read this on Yahoo, pretty awesome stuff I must say.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#3 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

user posted image
You'll never get me Hackman!

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#4 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

Yeah, Bush will be all over this saying, "See? I did something right! Told ya we didn't need embryonic stem cells, nyaaa nyaaa"

But he's still wrong. Check this out:

The technique isn't likely "to bear any fruit," said Tom Okarma, president and chief executive of Geron Corp. (GERN), a California biotech drug developer that has spent $100 million on human embryonic stem cell research.

"Most of the people who are doing this work and make the claim that this is going to change the therapeutic field really know nothing about cell therapy," Okarma said.

The scientists who pioneered the new approach have said that reprogramming an individual's own cells to mimic stem cells provides a way to create individually tailored transplant tissue unlikely to be rejected by that person's immune system.

But the process of getting the FDA to approve personalized treatments for medical use would ultimately prove far more expensive than using tissue grown from embryonic cells, Okarma said.

http://apnews.myway..../D8T1O8580.html

user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#5 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

I don't think it's an issue of expense.... it seems clear to me that the future of medicine lies in tailoring the treatment to fit the person, and at any rate, the government is more likely to subsidize this new treatment over the other one. This guy has spent $100 million on the alternative; of course he's going to be biased.

#6 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:31 AM

OK then, would you believe what other scientists are saying?

"Hurdles remain for new stem cell technique
Years of study needed before we see payoffs for patients"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21921497/

About the only immediately positive thing that I can see is that federal money for research on the new technique won't be a problem.

Kewl graphic from that article:

user posted image
user posted image

- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#7 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:02 AM

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying it would change anything instantly. When it comes to medical stuff, it has to go through years or even decades of refinements, testing, licensing, etc. It will be a while before it can be used in people BUT there is no reason why it can't be tested today in mice or used to grow diseases in a dish. Disease-growing may help find non-stem cell treatments for diseases that could be in use within 5 years. The possibilities are endless even before it is licensed by the FDA as a treatment.

#8 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:59 AM

Regardless this is great news. But I just thought of something. If scientists do actually find cures to all these diseases, they should pass a law saying that Republicans cannot benefit from them. Since they are all against stem cells being used. That way the democrats will outlive them and the world will be a better place.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#9 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

I second the motion. All in favor say, 'Aye'
user posted image

#10 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:07 PM

nay

goddamn nazi bitches
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users