• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• [Colossus]> Colossus Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

radioisotope batteries , i been reading on em, and i wanna make a thermic one.

any o0f u guys with the big brains know the best shape of a thermoelectric one?

im thinking a large copper one wich i get mashined in to a sqare and attach thermoelectric piezoelements around, it would need to be a large area but its doable for a lowpower version.

the radioisotope would have to be one of the commersially available ones.

im gonna use it on my electric bike. but as it produses power all the time i guess it can be a stationary one that i charge my bike off , and run the bike on batterys.

user posted image
"He who trades liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both."
- Thomas Jefferson

#2 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

ive never even heard of this, gimme infos. my car needs more nuclear power.

p.s. if your bike is nuclear powered, its mandatory that you slap big yellow nuclear symbol stickers all over it. it's like an unwritten law.

edit: i assume you mean one of these?
http://en.wikipedia....ctric_generator

i think youre SOL unless youre an engineer or know a lot about thermodynamics. this isnt the kind of thing you can order plans for out of the back of a magazine.

requires plutonium 238 too, if you dont want a giant trailer behind your bike. i dont know how things go in norway, but that's not easy to get a hold of here. if you're gung ho about this, youd be better off building a larger version with an easier to find fuel and just using it to recharge your bike while it's in your garage.

or you could just save yourself the trouble and get some solar panels or homebrew some hydrogen for an internal combustion engine.

Edited by chuckybob, 02 October 2007 - 10:41 PM.

QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#3 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• [Colossus]> Colossus Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:22 AM

well the appealing thing bout these are they produce power for my lifetime, it just doesnt stop. the less exotic radioactive materials are not dangerous, theyr allready in use in firealerts and emergency signs.

and the amount to run something lowpower is wery small, we are not even talking grams. the stuff i would use is Tritium.

theres a lot of good comments on this story on slashdot: http://hardware.slas...2/1231202.shtml
user posted image
"He who trades liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both."
- Thomas Jefferson

#4 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:02 AM

the fuel isnt even the big problem, its building the generator that's gonna be a PITA. you also need to figure out whether your bike operates on 240, 120, or some other voltage and whether the generator is capable of sustaining it or if you'd have to wait for it to recharge itself.

i really doubt that the amount of power that a portable version would produce would be enough to power a bike in prolonged use. itd probably require intermittent pauses while it recharges to useable capacity. and assuming that it can produce enough power to sustain constant travel on the bike, what's going to prevent it from over-producing power and having a mini-meltdown?

the slashdot article said those batteries are using in the least 2 milligrams of tritium to power a laptop that's running off of 12v (or is it 6v for laptops?), youre going to need much more then that to power the bike, especially with a generator that's probably not running at the same level of efficiency as that one. radioactive materials typically arent available from chemists. you could try cracking open glow sticks and freezing the gas, but youd need a whole lot of glow sticks...

there's a ton of reasons why itd be much simpler and easier to just use a more conventional means of powering it. i really think youd be better off building a solar collector, that'll last your lifetime too.

Edited by chuckybob, 03 October 2007 - 04:24 AM.

lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#5 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

Go for a compressed air motor! Even better savings.

You know those hybrid gasoline powered engines that charge batteries? Imagine that same engine charging a presurized tank. Now realize that you can drive from California to the United states on one tank of gas. Or east to west australia for coyote wink.gif
Ya, rly.

#6 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:46 AM

compressed air motors dont work at fucking all.

#7 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:06 PM

There are two companies building cars out of them, one of them has a mainstream car ready in 2008 for consumers.
Ya, rly.

#8 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

and both require gasoline to get to freeway speeds.

edit: and a solar collector saves way more in the long run

Edited by chuckybob, 04 October 2007 - 03:19 PM.

#9 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:28 PM

Both require gasoline, but it uses so very little just to get that extra boost out of the compressed air. You can go from east to west coast USA or Australia on one tank of gas.
Ya, rly.

#10 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

the figures ive seen say 150km on one tank

#11 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

you're such a bloody fucking terrorist lol
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users