41 replies to this topic

#1 Darkside

Darkside

omg hl2 = teh delayed

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

From Gamepot Live's coverage of yesterdays EA conference.

2:26 Valve's Gabe Newell is now on the stage to show us an updated trailer for Half-Life 2: Episode 2. There are some new images of a strider and smaller walker-like enemies decimating a group of human fighters in the forest. Otherwise, this is pretty much the same trailer we saw at the end of Episode 1.

Newell talks about getting players out of City 17 in the next episode (duh), as well as giving them new weapons and new enemies to use them against. Looks like the Source engine will be getting a lot of upgrades in Ep 2. A "cinematic physics" system is coming from former Weta Digital employee Gray Horsfield, along with new particle systems, better foliage, and more.

2:34 Newell's gone on to discuss the episodic-gaming business model. Short version: Valve likes it. It will even let them explore new types of gameplay in a new upcoming game called Portal (which seems to be a working title). It looks like they took the portal concept from Prey and slapped it on a gun--you can shoot them into walls and floors to solve all kinds of crazy puzzles, teleporting objects around and stuff. Looks like a total mindbender.

TEAM FORTRESS 2. WHERE DID THIS COME FROM? Hey, they're still making it! It's got a totally exaggerated, crazy art style now. Looks a little like Spy vs. Spy or No One Lives Forever, kind of a '60s spy feel. It's going to be the included multiplayer mode in Episode 2! Class-based, etc. You know the drill. Great news for shooter fans. We all thought this game was dead years ago.

And hey, Half-Life 2: Ep 2 will ship for Xbox 360 and PS3 simultaneously with the PC. The console games will basically include all of the HL2 back content, so you'll get everything on there that you can get on the PC. Who expected all this Valve news?

http://www.gamespot....ws/6153984.html

Edited by Darkside, 14 July 2006 - 08:06 PM.

#2 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

holy shit.
Ya, rly.

#3 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:42 AM

Wow.

A "cinematic physics" system

Ageia maybe? I still think it will be awhile until psysics cards are as ness. as sound or video cards to take some stress off the processor. But shit. They can't even take advantage of my dualcore yet. (Quake 4 patched that long ago.)

Besides that fact, I trust Valve when it comes to psysics. They have been pioneers of it. THe only company even close is Crytek. Valve, I love you. I have dreamt of hanging out with Gabe and playing HL2 (really I did.) But. If you don't release a poop your pants video soon, anything soon, I will punch a baby. And Polyguns will win! Noooo!

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#4 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:29 AM

looks pretty fucking awesome.
user posted image
I stole this image from HL2.net so tell me if it doesnt show.
user posted image

#5 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:30 AM

It shows. Looks awesome man. biggrin.gif

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#6 magebomb

magebomb

Gabe Newell

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:15 AM

last i saw tf2 was running on source and looked mediocre.

it looked fucking great 8 years ago

whoooooa!

just saw that pic.

i have seen nothing like that.
NOTE: if this post was crap, it's because you all have not been exciting enough lately, and well...someone has to be. stfu about crap not being exciting.

#7 magebomb

magebomb

Gabe Newell

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:16 AM

wow the new tf2 looks like shit.
NOTE: if this post was crap, it's because you all have not been exciting enough lately, and well...someone has to be. stfu about crap not being exciting.

#8 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE(Coyote @ Jul 15 2006, 01:29 AM)
user posted image

OMG!
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#9 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:28 AM

I think it looks cool though. Like a pixar movie kind of.

#10 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:57 AM

I think we needed this badly...well at least I did. I was going to cry if valve released another serious gritty urban enviroment themed game.

Edited by Coyote, 15 July 2006 - 04:50 AM.

user posted image

#11 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:10 AM

I know. Sin Episodes sucked. I should just say Sin sucked because there is no way I will ever play the episodes. I uninstalled it waaay before I finished it. The only thing I liked was the boob psysics.

I have this weird problem with some games where I will play for about 5 minutes and think "whoah, this is cool" and then stop playing. When I come back to play again the games usually suck. HL2 was a game I wanted to play all the way through but didn't.

2 reasons.

1. I was such a fan I basically studied every level of the game before it came out. Even though there was a lot of stuff that was a surprise, alot of it wasn't. Like watching a movie trailer that only shows the best parts of the movie.

2. I got motion sick really bad after an hour.

#12 Darkside

Darkside

omg hl2 = teh delayed

• GCN Staff
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:44 PM

http://www.steampowe...rea=news&id=691

The official crap from the steam site. Videos of Episode 2, TF2 and Portal next week!

#13 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

OMG TF2 FTW OMG OMG OMG
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#14 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

if the rapture comes before i get to play tf2, ill be pissed tongue.gif
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#15 Darkside

Darkside

omg hl2 = teh delayed

• GCN Staff
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

I just can't get over how fucking awesome TF2 looks. It's like digital interactive eye sex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users