32 replies to this topic

#1 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

HL2C is almost finished and the only thing left to do is the design. Initially the plans were to use the old design which you can find on the way back machine...

http://web.archive.o...hl2central.net/

...but now I am seeing that the design is a little too old to revive.

One solution would be to update it a little bit with new graphics keeping the layout, and the other solution would be to generate new designs.

Here are two designs, Coyote has more coming.

Site 1
Site 2
Ya, rly.

#2 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:10 AM

site 2 looks crappy imo, it looks like a simple template. i really dont see the point of bringing back HL2C, we'll never get the community back from hl2world

Edited by chuckybob, 11 August 2007 - 12:10 AM.

QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#3 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

The people need a reliable website, they will get one.

I spent two days on site 1, while only one of the days I spent time on site 2. I didnt like site 2 clearly.
Ya, rly.

#4 BLACK^WOLF

BLACK^WOLF

██▓▓▒▒░░

• Senior Members
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:51 AM

I love how the banner on top expands in the original one, and actually I really love the original design though.

The first site design, but I do like GCN's black background theme, it would be cool to implement that.

An other thing I love about HL2C is that the site resizes really well from 800x600 to 1600x1200

#5 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

Its difficult to read wide screened pages though. The latest designs have the page split into two columns ~300pixels each within the 1024x768 layout.

I dont think the consensus is for a fluid website.
Ya, rly.

#6 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:43 PM

I have the flu. sad.gif

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#7 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:44 PM

Maybe ill try to update the old hl2c a little better
Ya, rly.

#8 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

http://www.gamecentr...net/brent/hl2c/
WIP
Ya, rly.

#9 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

Seriously its worth a double post. Check it out...

http://www.gamecentr...net/brent/hl2c/
WIP
Ya, rly.

#10 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:30 AM

woah Brent seriously with a few graphic tweaks (banner menu font etc) I think that design would work. Also remove the left bar. Nice work though.

PS: Shammy I have Gastro, I win.
user posted image

#11 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:17 AM

its too busy, imo, i hate the three column style
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#12 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

So kill the left menu and just use the top menu? I was thinking of working on a new menu actually. Glad to finally hear some input on it all.

I wouldn't mind not having that left menu, but I think it's part of the website.
Ya, rly.

#13 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

id say kill the far right column and one of the center columns

#14 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:02 AM

Another design, I kinda like this one.

I started out just trying to build some new boxes to make the website less busy then ended up building this. The color might be off, if you see its too saturated I added saturation to adjust for what I saw as a washout as photoshop exported.
Site 3
Ya, rly.

#15 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

This is them in the order in which I like them (best first):

Old HL2C modified version
Site 1
Site 2
Site 3

There's something about the columns in the old HL2C version that isn't quite right but I can't put my finger on it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users