#16 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

ditch the mods column, new mods only come out like once every 4 months

Edited by chuckybob, 12 August 2007 - 02:49 PM.

QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#17 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Yeah the front page mods info is going to be minimized to a module.

Here's the latest design. I'm liking this one more than the rest.

user posted image
Ya, rly.

#18 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:51 PM

i like it
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#19 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:20 AM

user posted image
Forget the notes in the image. The bottom left is not going to be latest news either.

This is just a news item being viewed. The bottom left half will soon be comments, and the bottom right half will be forum posts, chat, modules, community features, ads smile.gif , etc...

The orange bar to the left of the news post I am 50/50 on so give me some advice on it. Actually I mostly want to get rid of it but not enough to want to find a replacement for it.

As for the home page, imagine the top black box down at the bottom, smaller, and with all the news. Then fill the top black box with a feature box, recent coversation box, and maybe an ad.
Ya, rly.

#20 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

user posted image
I'm liking this one. Still waiting on any feedback.
Ya, rly.

#21 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

nice. wink.gif

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#22 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

i like the shiny web 3.0 one better

the more i think about it, the more i think its a tremendous waste of time to try to bring back the community to HL2C and we should just port a more streamlined version of GCN to TCR.

LOLA

(laughing out loud acronyms)

#23 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

Im just finding it difficult to abandon the work I've done on it including the past 4-6 days of designing almost 12 hours a day trying to figure out something that works.

In my opinion even as a developer (non-designing developer) the first thing you need is a Logo and Style, then a design with framework in mind, and then the real framework.

Its just difficult to work on a plaintext version of a site when there arnet any graphics. I dont know where to put stuff, how much room I have.

I'm thinking, if HL2C comes back it would cover all of the news, we would gain a user base, Valve would appreciate it and link us in a news post for covering all the bases better than any of the other HL2 sites. That would be big.

But then again if I just abandon it we can just get on with TCR which I have more code done, even better plans for, a better idea of what is going on with it.

I'm tired and it's late (7am). I just need direction and motivation right now.
Ya, rly.

#24 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

I know it's natural to want to hold onto something I have spent a long, long, long, long time working on (years) but I think I need to let it go finally. We either need to shut it down or relaunch it. I am trying to avoid shutting it down, it has it's history and HL2 is coming around with TF2 and new mods...

Damn its like a dog with no legs. Should I put it to sleep?
Ya, rly.

#25 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:28 AM

http://www.halflife2.net/ has already started reviving their community and posting news more often.
Ya, rly.

#26 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(Brent @ Sep 1 2007, 10:58 AM)
Im just finding it difficult to abandon the work I've done on it including the past 4-6 days of designing almost 12 hours a day trying to figure out something that works.

I'm thinking, if HL2C comes back it would cover all of the news, we would gain a user base, Valve would appreciate it and link us in a news post for covering all the bases better than any of the other HL2 sites. That would be big.

But then again if I just abandon it we can just get on with TCR which I have more code done, even better plans for, a better idea of what is going on with it.

i feel you about abandoning HL2C, it's pretty much the reason we're all here. but the community that HL2C built up in its early days as a premier HL2 news site is long gone, and posting all the news that the other sites have wont bring it back.

the problem with HL2C is we need publicity to get members and we need members to get publicity. there's no in road to getting the site back up to where it was.

I really think TCR should be the #1 priority right now, especially with the sponsors pulling out. If we work quickly, we might be able to get them back and get the site off to a great start. FARK and jinx.com don't often sponsor sites AFAIK, we're loosing a great opportunity if we lose them. I PM'd you my email but i haven't heard back from you yet, I'm ready and willing to do any graphics work or writing or video scouring needed to get the site ready to launch ASAP.

We could re-launch HL2C as a small subforum under TCR, and if it gets the attention it deserves, we could do a full-scale re-launch from there.

QUOTE(Brent @ Sep 1 2007, 11:28 AM)
http://www.halflife2.net/ has already started reviving their community and posting news more often.

I've never considered halflife2.net a dead community. Definitely not on the scale that we have here.

#27 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:21 AM

Yeah but every news site misses half of the news. They are all dead in my eyes. You need complete coverage of all the mods.
Ya, rly.

#28 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:27 AM

Yay all I have is this shitty last version of the website because as I just found out PHOTOSHOP DOESNT SAVE SNAPSHOTS.

Suck it Adobe. I can't wait for my new linux machine so I can use GIMP.

Damn whats the fucking use of snapshots if they dont save.
Ya, rly.

#29 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:37 PM

I just went through and found 12 mods with ease that have updated in late August. There are even a lot of new mods coming out, so I think it might be cool to have a hl2 site.

www.hlgamer.com is redesigning it's site. I'm guessing they will have many of the features we will have but the quest is will they have determination?
Ya, rly.

#30 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:47 PM

do we?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users