• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 02:01 PM

3ds max
Maya
Lightwave
softimage|xsi
Wings 3D

All good software, there's more that I can't think of. There's a rumor that Valve will be distributing softimage|exp with plugins needed for HL2 modding. I'm fairly certain this is true, especially because of the way Valve was talking about it in the editing videos.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#3 BLACK^WOLF

BLACK^WOLF

██▓▓▒▒░░

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 06:43 PM

hey thanks

#4 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 06:47 PM

You can get softimage|exp from http://softimage.com I think, and start working on it now. Even if the rumor is false, it will still be good experience.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#5 mitlancer

mitlancer

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 01:44 PM

And you can get a free version of Maya, 3DSM5, Lightwave, and Wings 3D off www.k-lite.tk tongue.gif jk dont hurt me.
If your reading this you have too much time on your hands.

#6 DvS

DvS

Freeman Himself

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 11:15 PM

Milkshape is good for simple HL.. I once knew how to use it... don't anymore
user posted image
If you take all the world's religions and filter out the
controversies, one fact remains - God needs YOUR money.

#7 ``pzyco``

``pzyco``

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 08:47 PM

3ds max all the way baby biggrin.gif
can't wait untill i get 6.0

#8 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (``pzyco`` @ Sep 27 2003, 03:47 PM)
3ds max all the way baby biggrin.gif
can't wait untill i get 6.0

damn right man!
i you registered for the 6.0 beta trial thing? i am biggrin.gif
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#9 csabo2

csabo2

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 05:37 PM

Ive never done any modeling, whats the best program to start out with?
The first Matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art - flawless, sublime. A triumph equalled only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being. Thus, I redesigned it based on your history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature. However, I was again frustrated by failure. I have since come to understand that the answer eluded me because it required a lesser mind, or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection. Thus the answer was stumbled upon by another - an intuitive program, initially created to investigate certain aspects of the human psyche. If I am the father of the matrix, she would undoubtedly be its mother.

#10 random.hero

random.hero

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:46 PM

GMax is a good start. u can get ur models out of there, but its a bit of a cheat, getting round the system. just export it from GMax, using Tempest ( a Quake III plugin ) as .md3, then import that into Milkshape, and bobs ur uncle, u have loads of possible exportable formats. i did that with my MP5 model, for Hell Blaze. only problem is, u lose ur smooth groups, but wats that wen ur savin $1000 biggrin.gif.
"No, i'd rather cut my penis off with a rusty breadknife." user posted image

user posted image

#11 ``pzyco``

``pzyco``

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 03:41 PM

weee biggrin.gif ive got 3dsmax 6 now smile.gif i'm going to install it tonight
(original version, no warez for me wink.gif )

Edited by ``pzyco``, 30 October 2003 - 08:56 PM.

#12 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:11 PM

Wings 3D is freeware, you know.

#13 Punktkerbe

Punktkerbe

Hydra (lol)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 02:41 AM

Well, depending on what kind of modeling you want to do.

3DSMAX/Gmax is good for all around or low poly modeling, and you can do a lot of thigns with it.

Maya is good for more advanced things and high poly modeling, and you can get a free version of it as well.

Milkshape3D is good for low poly time consuming models, but can do some neat things once you get good at it. It's probobly one of the less featured of the modeling programs, but with a $20 price tag and free trial, it's hard to turn down without a try.

I just tried Wings3D about a week or so ago, and was really impressed. Its very easy to get the hang of, and you can do a lot of things with it, it's pretty much just a dedicated modeling program and not much more. It's also open source, so not only is it free, it's also a step ahead in the open source industry to make a modeling program that rivals most $500+ programs

#14 NsNr8r

NsNr8r

Ant Lion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:35 PM

I used: Milkshape 3D to start, because it was free trial 30 days and easy to use.

back then, HL2 wasn't even thought of, (well maybe it was but you know...) I learned on it and now i'm sorry I did. All you can do is box modeling (most use this) and straight triangle by triangle. The problem is that the meshsmoothing SUCKS HORRIBLY and you can't edit in the 3D view

I used: Gmax as well, simple, couldn't find the right plugins for what i wanted to do, so I never learned it well.

I used: 3DSMax 5.0, I hated max because I learned on MS3D and the change is too much. But now i'm using 3DSMax 6.0 and it's getting easier to learn because of the tutorials i'm using.

It's really up to you whether or not you want to use a certain program but I'd start with Gmax and go to 3DSMax
My brain hurts.

#15 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 12:02 AM

If your going legal, and don't know how to model any way, I'd go with wings3d. from what ive seen its powerfull as hell, but will also give you better export opttions, like .3ds and .obj, I use wings just to get stuff from maya to .3ds. If you don't wana limit yourself to just modelling( I have no idea why anyone would) I would go for maya, for it has 3d painting and sculpting tools, mush faster then pushing verts or toggling back and forth with photoshop. and their's no difference between high and low poly modelling with maya, its just what you do with it. I know most people whgo got started on maya did so cause it was sooo much cheaper then maya, but now maya is basically cheaper then max, so why people still use max, is beyod me, unless they're happy and don't wanna learn a new app.
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users