3 replies to this topic

#1 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

Anyone manage to see this in the cinemas in the US? If so, you're very lucky. They're about to release it on DVD and in worldwide cinemas, but they're splitting it up into two movies instead of one.

Why? Two reasons: firstly to make more money (obviously) and secondly because people were too dumb to understand the original version and so it flopped at the US box office. If you're unfamiliar with the concept, it's homage to the old B-movies that would be shown at so-called Grindhouse theatres. You'd see two cheesy B-movies back to back for the price of one with even cheesier trailers in the middle. The technical quality was often very poor with audio dropouts and sometimes whole reels were missing. Nonetheless, it was a fun experience by all accounts.

So I'm in the cinema and the first movie ends and everyone gets up to leave and I'm thinking "where's everyone going?" And then afterwards I heard that a lot of people demanded their money back because they said the visual and audio quality of the movie was poor, and some parts were missing. How can people that dumb still be alive? You would have thought they'd have walked in front of a bus by now or put their tongue in an electric socket.

This movie is probably the most fun I've ever had at the cinema. It was amazing. On the one hand, I want them to release the proper version on DVD but on the other, I don't, because I feel privileged to have seen it the way it was meant to be shown and have fond memories of it.

So, as you are unlikely to see the trailers again (which were the best part), here they are in all their glory.

Machete (Directed by Robert Rodriguez)

Thanksgiving (Eli Roth), Werewolf Women of the SS (Rob Zombie), Don't (Simon Pegg (director of Hot Fuzz, Shawn of the Dead))

Edited by Jon, 24 September 2007 - 06:13 PM.

#2 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:15 PM

I got to see it, it was an experience to remember indeed. The commercials were the shit, Machete was the perfect example.
"And then they realized.....they fucked with the wrong Mexican"

And damn that interlude music was sick.
Ya, rly.

#3 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

I posted about it back before it came out in the US (April 6)
http://forums.gamece...3&hl=grindhouse
and there was more discussion in the Children of Men thread
http://forums.gamece...0&hl=grindhouse
but this is as good a place as any to discuss the DVD.

I'd wait for it to be released in its original form, whenever that is, before getting it.
Definitely worth having. BTW, check out Shoot 'Em Up! when it comes out on DVD (probably not playing in theaters anymore. If it is, see it). Fucking awesome! Along the lines of Sin City and Grindhouse, but with tons more blood, violence and action. Seriously.
user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#4 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:01 PM

Yeah, I wanted to see Shoot 'Em Up but I never got around to it. I'll definitely check it out now.

P.S. I browsed the Movies section for a topic but didn't see one. I didn't look in any other sections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users