9 replies to this topic

#1 M374llic4

M374llic4

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:30 AM

http://www.gamescenter.sm scored an interview with Gabe Newell of Valve.

English interview.

Question by Marco "Mcx" Cortella.
Translated by Carlo "Sprawl" Ferrari.

Q:After a few rumors Half Life 2 was officially announced in development also for the Xbox system, can you venture an approximate release date? Will there be any major differences between the Xbox and PC versions of the game?

A:The X-Box from a hardware perspective is about a mid-range PC. The memory limitation is probably the most challenging constraint, and that isn't that big of a deal. Getting the control and feel of the game right is one of the biggest challenges.

There will be other multiplayer features in the retail version in addition to the cooperative mode (already in development by Svencop)?

We aren't talking about multiplayer yet.

Tell us about the plot. Will it change and evolve according to the player's actions?

The game is still pretty linear (e.g. the same as Half-Life). When we experiment with other approaches, we find that if we can simulate things (e.g. physics or character emotions) then we make them player action dependent, and when we still can't (e.g. plot, character arcs) we stick to linearly authored experience.

Many people watching the movies released by Valve wondered if the events were predetermined or really free from the bonds put by the programmers (I'm referring in particular to the "Trap Town" movie where a building collapses after the detonation of a grenade). Could you please clear up this doubt?

That's physically simulated. As I mentioned before, with each generation of games, we move more stuff from the "we have to author this because we can't simulate it in an interesting and entertaining way, yet" into the "now we understand it well enough and have the horsepower to run this in real-time". Trap Town shows a lot of physical simulation interacting with AI.

Who composed the music of Half Life 2? Will it be "dynamic" according to the game events?

The audio and score is being done once again by Kelly Bailey. Both of those are dynamic.

What has Half Life 2 that Doom 3 hasn't? And what has Doom 3 that Half Life 2 hasn't? smile.gif

I'm not an expert on Doom 3. I'm sure I'll buy it, though.

The Havok system that handles game physics is one of the features that impressed me more, will it be active during multiplayer matches too?

The physics simulation is separate from the gameplay that utilizes it. Yes, there are both client-side and server-side physics simulators.

Are you already working on the new versions of Counter Strike and Day of Defeat based on "Source", the new graphic engine? What will happen to the previous versions of CS and DOD based on the old Half Life engine?

We're worried about getting Half-Life 2 out the door more so than worrying about what's next.

Which development tools will be given to the communities for the creation of moods? How deep will be the changes to the original game they will be able to make?

MOD makers have a lot more control with Source (e.g. controlling the rendering of individual polygons, much more extensible network entities). The SDK will contain pretty much everything you would need except a C++ compiler. In addition to all of our tools for building games, we have also worked with Softimage to supply a free version of XSI to MOD teams.

The minimum requirements of the game include a DirectX 6 compatible graphics card (such as a NVIDIA TnT), how will the game run on systems with this kind of card? What will be the differences compared to a DX9 compatible graphics card (such as the latest ATi Radeon 9800 Pro)?

It will look much better (polygons, visual effects, framerate) on a high-end graphics card.

Did you solve the problems with FSAA, especially on GeForce FX cards?

Just to clear things up, the "problem" was that initially HL-2 looked like any other game the uses lightmaps (e.g.. Quake 3, Elite Force II, ...) with anti-aliasing enabled. We have come up with ways around this.

Let's talk about the Steam project. I heard Half Life 2 will be delivered also through this platform, how much do you believe in Steam? Don't you think it could encourage software piracy?

I think that we should figure out ways to better server our customers. Steam is, hopefully, a more efficient way for us to do this. It should decrease, not increase, the risk of piracy.

Will you release a demo? If so, will it be before or after the release of the game?

Probably afterwards.

Half Life 3 has already been announced. Are you actually thinking on it?

It has? What's in it?

Can you finally confirm that the release date will be 9/30 to put an end to all the rumors of the last few days?

No comment.

Gabe, thanks again for your availability, I'm really looking forward to playing Half Life 2. I think I'll pitch my tent in front of the store the night before the release date smile.gif

Edited by M374llic4, 08 August 2003 - 01:31 AM.

MyPC( Used to pwn Maxxx's :( )
:: Athlon 64 3700+ (939 Sandy) ::
:: Asus A8N SLI Deluxe ::
:: OCZ DDR PC-3200 / 400MHz / Performance Series / 1GB Modules (2) ::
:: Leadtek PX 6800 GT TDH / 256MB DDR3 / PCI Express / SLI ::
:: Maxtor Serial ATA-150 200 7200 8MB (2) (Raid 0) ::
user posted image

#2 Raven

Raven

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:40 AM

Awww, now that they got the Geforce FX issue corrected, i don't know what shoudl i buy, an ATI Radeon 9500 PRO, or an Geforce FX 5600 Ultra? it has to be 1 of them.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

#3 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 07:35 PM

Pro is useless I think, non-pro is a better value. The Raden 9700 gets you the best bang for buck.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#4 Hoobawho

Hoobawho

Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 08:05 PM

good luck finding a 9500 pro, costs about 190 now due to lack of them. I wanted one too but settled for a 9600 pro, good value and good oc'er.

#5 Volume

Volume

Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:33 PM

Hehe. My dad agreed to buy me the RADEON 9800 Atlantis Ultimate 128mb DDR! I guess I'm good to go for Half-Life 2!
user posted image
Pentium4 2.6
Abit IC7-MAX3
Corsair 2GB RAM
ATI Radeon x850 XT

#6 Mr. Soup

Mr. Soup

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:55 AM

i think i would just buy the 9900 bundle
"EVERYBODY steals from murdock!" -Murdock
user posted image
" I want to have your babies... " - Elpoopio

#7 Raven

Raven

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 12:19 PM

My brother is bringing me a card from UK, he doesnt have a big budget, so it has to be 1 of those i said, plz help me choose!

#8 Raven

Raven

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:47 PM

Ok, after talking to my father, i stoped my "brother order" and i'm going to buy an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, da Beast!!

*EDIT: and its 256mb biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by Raven, 09 August 2003 - 08:36 PM.

#9 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 9 2003, 07:47 PM)
Ok, after talking to my father, i stoped my "brother order" and i'm going to buy an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, da Beast!!

*EDIT: and its 256mb biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

i hate you.
user posted image

#10 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:27 AM

Im sorry for bringing up another old topic but it's fun to go back and look at this stuff.

I can answer the question Gabe had no comment on, "no 9/30 is out of the question, we are actually planning on releasing it about a year from now"
Ya, rly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users