9 replies to this topic

#1 Low Profile

Low Profile

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 03:54 PM

I wanted to skin my latest model. Does anyone know if HL2 supports models that use the multi/sub-object material in 3Ds max ? this is the first time for me making game models, I don't know if this is standard or what, but I just need to know:

does HL2 support the multi/sub-object texturing procedure or do I have to make one large texture file for the entire model? Does anyone even know the answer? have the dev's commented on this?

#2 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 04:39 PM

HL2 will support multi/sub object texturing, yes.
i just am not good at skinning lol
i dont know how to make a good uvw map, and i dont know how to make a nice skin sad.gif
i am good at making models tho from what ppl tell me tongue.gif
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#3 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 10:08 PM

I doubt HL2 would have out of the box support for 3ds max's actual materials, you probably need a custom exporter for that. But what you want can be achieved through shaders or other means.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#4 Low Profile

Low Profile

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 12:02 AM

If multitexturing is available in hl2, I'm gonna give my WA2000 a go at texturing smile.gif

#5 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:24 AM

It's preferred to use one single texture for an entire skin, though. It's more efficient.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#6 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 04:06 AM

but what about bump mapping and diffuse/specular maps?
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#7 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:08 PM

Those are of course seperate. It's quite hard to tell how HL2 will handle bumpmapping. Likely you supply a normal map, and additionally you could apply specular maps and such. The Direct3D shaders give you a lot of possibilities.

#8 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:40 PM

thats very true.
but in 3DS max u jsut apply the bump map to the bump level in the material tabs.
what other way is there of doing it?
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#9 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:57 PM

For Quake III, you need a custom shader that has a path to the normal map. Perhaps HL2 needs something similar, but it's likely more automated. Maybe it can general it's own default normal maps, or maybe if you have texture.jpg it looks for texture_nm.jpg or something.

#10 iceman

iceman

Combine Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 09:36 PM

would you all stop calling it SKINNING, its just simple texturing job! tongue.gif

good guess EMON, we'll have to wait and see how the new hammer handles it. Your guess is good as any.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users