200 replies to this topic

#31 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:57 AM

Look at the sweatshops in India. These kids work 80 hour weeks making Nikes for like 2 bucks a week. No matter how hard they work they will always be poor. But in the U.S., unless you are handicapped you can make enough to survive. But when you are supporting yourself you can get by on as little as it takes to get by. But when you have kids and are responsible for them that's when the cycle is difficult to break.

How can a poor single mother make it really? She has to have a job to buy a car to go to work, but needs to hire a babysitter so she can work. People are living week to week, and getting in debt, taking out quick cash loans etc, it's aweful. Can you say, "well if she had an abortion she could get a job and make more money and advance till one day she can afford to raise a child." Yes you can. But if a 15 year old has a kid, she has to work part time or 2 jobs to live and support her kid. When that mother hits 33 years old and her kid is 18, I doubt she'll be able to afford that child a college education and the cycle repeats.

I don't have an answer other than free college or vocational education programs for poor people. But even if you go to school full time in college how can you pay your living expenses unless you work? Then you aren't concentrating on school and flunk.

So making from poor to middle class is possible, it isn't likely no matter how smart or motivated you are. There are only so many hours in a day to work.

I myself, got bailed out by my father and he saved my life more than once. There were times when i was so broke, working 2 jobs and had nothing to show for it, I wanted to die. But I used every opportunity to give myself an education. When I went to college they didn't have photoshop and shit. I taught myself, got my foot in the door at a company, made a name for myself, built a portfolio and progressed.

In summary, everyone needs a chance. You need to know someone, or somehow find out what it is you are good at doing and pursue it. Competition is fierce in America. You have to be able to compete to survive. If you quit and give up, then your life will suck. But if you really give it your best eventually you will win. You only get one ticket on this ride we call life. I want to be on my deathbed when I'm 90 and say, "I did the best I could." Whether rich or poor when that happens, it doesn't matter to me. I just want to live to be 90 and I will be the richest man in the world in my heart.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#32 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:45 AM

here's some more facts for you, poly:

"Most teenage mothers come from socially and/or economically disadvantaged backgrounds; adolescent motherhood often compounds this disadvantage.... Adolescent mothers are less likely to complete their education and are more likely to face limited career and economic opportunities compared to women whose first children are born after age 20."

- http://www.advocates...et/fsprechd.htm

"Families with a female householder and no husband present tend to have higher poverty rates than married-couple families: see table of poverty by family type"

- http://www.census.go...rty/trends.html

as i mentoned before, early memories tend to have the most influence on the way we look at the world, and what we think of as normal. normalcy tends to be what we strive for, because we find it comfortable and farmiliar. if poverty is what's seen as normalcy, its generally considered the most comfortable place to be unless there are other factors (i.e. suffering) which would cause one to try to break the cycle.

Edited by chuckybob, 12 October 2005 - 09:45 AM.

QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#33 julieannefiu

julieannefiu

Citadel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:40 PM

I agree, Poly, and you do have a point regarding the men not having to claim responsibility, but that's if the abortion by the woman is being used as a form of birth control. It should be illegal to be used as that purpose, but should absolutely be allowed under the extenuating circumstances I spoke of previously (in case of rape, incest or illness that could be detrimental to the mother and child's health). They should reform the laws to reflect those terms
user posted image

Shammy's the man, thanks for the sig.

Panthers kick (themselves in the) ass

#34 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:09 PM

thats the point. 100 years from now, someone who is poor could like 100 times better then someone who is upper middle class nowadays. we will still consider them poor. to me thats not poor, there are poor people who don't eat every day, who are completly homeless, and have no oppourtunity to better their lives if they don't leave their country.

if you say there will always be poor cause there will always be people with less then the rich, then of course there will always be poor. if you think poor means not having the necessities of life, and a few luxeries, then poverty could be eliminated, especially and probably only in a capitalistic environment
user posted image

#35 julieannefiu

julieannefiu

Citadel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:39 PM

See, but now you're all off topic and going on about poverty. The point is should abortion be legal. Social and economic status should have nothing to do with it. Rich people can be just as low class as poor, and are often more evil. I'm saying abortion whould only be allowed for reasons I already said so will not repeat. Everyone should be on mandatory birth control and pass a test to show they can love and support their children before having any. Rich and poor alike, not everyone is fit to be a parent. Some poor children have more love and family support from their parents than some rich pompus families.
user posted image

#36 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:37 PM

Rich and poor alike, not everyone is fit to be a parent.

And not everyone is fit to be a child. Hence, abortion.

Well, I'm just fit to be tied!
(My Grandma's expression)
user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#37 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:51 PM

omfg B, that was halarious, omfg, im gonna use that..

Julie, your clearly the brains of the family. i agree 100 %. I use birth control 24/7, and its a great idea. you don't need as many trips to the bathroom, the more you fill that condom up, the larger your johnson looks, but there are some legistical problems to your point.
sometimes the condom gets stuck in the zipper and explodes, sometimes you don't pinch the end off completly it could spray up in your face.

I tried the pill once, it was good and bad,. I loved my huge new titties, but i think it completly ruined my period, ive never had one:(
user posted image

#38 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE(julieannefiu @ Oct 12 2005, 04:39 PM)
See, but now you're all off topic and going on about poverty.

its like a sweater, different things weave into eachother to affect the whole. you cant talk about the reason one thing happens without mentioning another thing.
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#39 julieannefiu

julieannefiu

Citadel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:38 PM

The logistics aren't that difficult. Women go on birth control and men use condoms. If both are doing that and a condom breaks, there's still a 97% chance the woman won't get pregnant. Better yet, do her in the arse, she can't get knocked up that way.
user posted image

#40 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:22 PM

I know it's been around 4 months since anyone posted here, but the topic's hardly dead; Bush's shiny new Supreme Court is in place now, and shit is fast approaching the fan:

South Dakota House Approves Abortion Ban Bill
By CHET BROKAW, Associated Press Writer, 13 minutes ago
http://news.yahoo.co...zkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#41 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:32 PM

links broke

#42 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:50 PM

Link
http://www.forbes.co.../ap2552113.html

And so it begins. Honestly, I am not too conerned. I am not a woman. It's none of my business. And no man should have a say in what a woman does with her body. If they ban abortion maybe the Right wing fundies will STFU and GBTW.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#43 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:16 AM

GBTW = george bush the whitehouse?

legal precident my ass. on the one hand, its a good thing, laws werent written in stone afterall. on the otherhand, its got some fucked up shit attatched to it.

like this part: "If a rape victim becomes pregnant and bears a child, the rapist could have the same parental rights as the mother, said Krista Heeren-Graber, executive director of the South Dakota Network Against Family Violence and Sexual Assault. " good times.

#44 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:21 AM

We just approved the deveopment of a new abortion pill over here, so if n e of ya bitches get preggers give me a holla and I'll hook you up, lol Alternivly you can punch here in the overies every time you bust a nut. ok Im bored.
user posted image

#45 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:24 AM

STFU = Shut the fuck up
GBTW = Get Back To Work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users