58 replies to this topic

#16 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:46 AM

i read it and laughed, and i wouldve quoted it with an lol, but dr. b's was much more lolo.
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#17 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:18 AM

A very good article:

The most common retort against privacy advocates -- by those in favor of ID checks, cameras, databases, data mining and other wholesale surveillance measures -- is this line: "If you aren't doing anything wrong, what do you have to hide?"

Some clever answers: "If I'm not doing anything wrong, then you have no cause to watch me." "Because the government gets to define what's wrong, and they keep changing the definition." "Because you might do something wrong with my information." My problem with quips like these -- as right as they are -- is that they accept the premise that privacy is about hiding a wrong. It's not. Privacy is an inherent human right, and a requirement for maintaining the human condition with dignity and respect.

Two proverbs say it best: Quis custodiet custodes ipsos? ("Who watches the watchers?") and "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Cardinal Richelieu understood the value of surveillance when he famously said, "If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged." Watch someone long enough, and you'll find something to arrest -- or just blackmail -- with. Privacy is important because without it, surveillance information will be abused: to peep, to sell to marketers and to spy on political enemies -- whoever they happen to be at the time.

Privacy protects us from abuses by those in power, even if we're doing nothing wrong at the time of surveillance.

We do nothing wrong when we make love or go to the bathroom. We are not deliberately hiding anything when we seek out private places for reflection or conversation. We keep private journals, sing in the privacy of the shower, and write letters to secret lovers and then burn them. Privacy is a basic human need.

A future in which privacy would face constant assault was so alien to the framers of the Constitution that it never occurred to them to call out privacy as an explicit right. Privacy was inherent to the nobility of their being and their cause. Of course being watched in your own home was unreasonable. Watching at all was an act so unseemly as to be inconceivable among gentlemen in their day. You watched convicted criminals, not free citizens. You ruled your own home. It's intrinsic to the concept of liberty.

For if we are observed in all matters, we are constantly under threat of correction, judgment, criticism, even plagiarism of our own uniqueness. We become children, fettered under watchful eyes, constantly fearful that -- either now or in the uncertain future -- patterns we leave behind will be brought back to implicate us, by whatever authority has now become focused upon our once-private and innocent acts. We lose our individuality, because everything we do is observable and recordable.

How many of us have paused during conversation in the past four-and-a-half years, suddenly aware that we might be eavesdropped on? Probably it was a phone conversation, although maybe it was an e-mail or instant-message exchange or a conversation in a public place. Maybe the topic was terrorism, or politics, or Islam. We stop suddenly, momentarily afraid that our words might be taken out of context, then we laugh at our paranoia and go on. But our demeanor has changed, and our words are subtly altered.

This is the loss of freedom we face when our privacy is taken from us. This is life in former East Germany, or life in Saddam Hussein's Iraq. And it's our future as we allow an ever-intrusive eye into our personal, private lives.

Too many wrongly characterize the debate as "security versus privacy." The real choice is liberty versus control. Tyranny, whether it arises under threat of foreign physical attack or under constant domestic authoritative scrutiny, is still tyranny. Liberty requires security without intrusion, security plus privacy. Widespread police surveillance is the very definition of a police state. And that's why we should champion privacy even when we have nothing to hide.

http://www.wired.com.../1,70886-0.html

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#18 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:02 PM

i strongly disagree with that article's arguments. you have to give up some liberty to have a stable society. thats what laws are: the trading in of liberty for stability.

Edited by chuckybob, 13 August 2006 - 07:05 PM.

lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#19 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:56 AM

user posted image
user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#20 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(chuckybob @ Aug 13 2006, 03:02 PM)
i strongly disagree with that article's arguments. you have to give up some liberty to have a stable society. thats what laws are: the trading in of liberty for stability.

We already established many of the laws to protect our freedoms years ago when the constitution was written. I don't mind new laws, rules being made like not bringing liquids or carryons to planes, etc. But where do you draw the line? The crap Bush wants is basically giving the terrorists want they want. To take away our freedoms.

Personally, I am more scared of these elderly drivers than terrorists. Why don't we all panic about them? Because they are Bush's base. I just saying.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#21 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:50 AM

i agree with most of what you said, but the article is about how to respond to "If you aren't doing anything wrong, what do you have to hide?". its an obvious logical fallacy, but its very difficult to put down in simple terms. saying "we loose freedom" isnt a good enough answer, freedom has already been lost since the dawn of civilization. we sacrificed some of it to increase our odds of survival.

its obviously constitutionally protected, but americans are dumbshits and the word "constitution" might as well be "conglomerate".

the proverbs are an excellent start, but they're also rendered useless with logical fallacies.

is there a moral argument for and against privacy? any scientific argument?

#22 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:29 PM

ChuckyBob I seriously love you man. You make sence. We always sacrificed freedoms to stay safe. Parenting was a great example of this. But the argument of "If you don't do anything wrong what do you have to hide?" is flawed. It should be "I didn't do anything wrong, leave me alone." Why should everyone be punished for the acts of a few?

As far as an argument against privacy? IDK how you can quantify a human condition. We are private by proxy. It is part of our survival instinct to protect the pack. We form groups and try to keep secrets away from our enemies so the don't gain advantages over us. Also the condition of embarassement is a strong one. You don't run out and tell your grandma everytime you wackoff do you? You would want that to be private I am sure. I guess some people don't care though, they need attention. Man my head hurts now, I am going to think about this one.

#23 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

National Security Surveillance Act approved by key Senate committee. That's it I am moving to Canada.

http://yro.slashdot....4/1240233.shtml

#24 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:11 PM

im gonna wait until the supreme court approves that, then im gonna start studying for my canadian citezenship exam.

#25 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:47 AM

Bush issues another signing statement, this time allowing him to edit reports that state whether or not Homeland Security violates laws
(with pic that makes me want to punch ...)
http://news.yahoo.co...wh/bush_privacy

#26 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#27 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:47 PM

isnt there anything we can impeach this douchebag-dictator-wannabe on?

-e- oMGZ HE LIED UNDER OAHT!!!!11

posted by another poster on another forum:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

HAPPEH HAPPYE JOY JOEEY

spred teh word and get the shacmpagne readyY!!!

Edited by chuckybob, 06 October 2006 - 06:48 PM.

#28 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:10 PM

another signing statement today...

El Presidente signs bill which establishes minimum qualifications for future FEMA directors, then declares that the new law doesn't apply to him, touches blue to make it true. Wow.
http://www.boston.co...?p1=MEWell_Pos1

#29 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

Man who said "Your policies in Iraq are reprehensible" to Dick Cheney and then walked away is arrested ten minutes later for "assaulting" the Vice President.
http://www.progressi...mc100406?cheney

#30 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

yay police state

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users