60 replies to this topic

#1 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:26 AM

I just wanted to clear this out of the SSOTD so we can talk about it here.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#2 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:27 AM

user posted image
Graph showing one degree Fahrenheit rise in the temperature record of the entire earth's surface during the 20th Century.

user posted image
Graph showing roughly 1000 years of temperature in the northern hemisphere. It is based on combined data from ice layers, corals, trees, etc. The 20th Century's one degree Fahrenheit warming stands out dramatically.

user posted image
Over a 40 year period, scientist Charles Keeling measured the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere. The above "Keeling Curve" shows the increase in total concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere from 1957-1997. This unbroken record of the carbon dioxide content of the atmosphere shows how it's gone up, in round numbers, from around 315 parts per million to around 370 parts per million on average today. This data is widely accepted by everyone. (Shammys not: notice how it goes up and down once a year, it's because in the winter time the leaves fall off the trees so less co2 is being consumed, so in the winter the levels are raised naturally, in part to also keep the planet from freezing to much in the winter also. Earth's balance is delicate)

user posted image
Graph showing a 450,000 year record of carbon dioxide (CO2) levels in the earth's atmosphere. This record was compiled from analyzing bubbles of fossilized air trapped in ice cores. The fossilized air shows the levels of carbon dioxide and other gases in the atmosphere throughout this 450,000 period. The last 100-150 years of the 20th Century show a significant rise in CO2.

This is from PBS.
http://www.pbs.org/w...etc/graphs.html

As CO2 levels go up, the earths warms, which is normal. Except we are causing it to go up alot more than normal. You guys can try to bury your heads in the sand, but you are younger than me. This will be a serious problem by the time you guys get to be my age if we don't act soon.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#3 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• [Colossus]> Colossus Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:53 AM

i for one welcome our new graph overlords.

edit: actually try switching to electric wehicles.

Edited by magnetmannen, 25 November 2006 - 08:54 AM.

user posted image
"He who trades liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both."
- Thomas Jefferson

#4 BLACK^WOLF

BLACK^WOLF

██▓▓▒▒░░

• Senior Members
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:21 AM

I blame it on bush.

#5 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE(BLACK^WOLF @ Nov 28 2006, 01:21 AM)
I blame it on bush.

Well in a way you should. He was one of only 2 world leaders (china was the other one) that didn't sign the Kyoto agreement.

I mean who really in their right mind would be againt regualting companies pollution. Bush, that'w who. Remember when we cut back on CFC's and aerosols taht were fukcing up the ozone? Well that worked, the zone layer is getting better so to speak.

Bush didn't want to sign Kyoto because he wants his rich buddies to be happy and donate money to him.

#6 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:25 AM

user posted image
user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#7 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

oh yeah, i forgot about this thread

http://www.worldview...ages/vostok.jpg
graph showing the levels of CO2 versus global average temperature

http://x007.uploader.../1162355658.jpg
graph of the above graphs superimposed over eachother

as you can see, there's a strong correlation, but there are large discrepencies, especially in the last 350,000 years or so.

correlation != causation

http://www.venganza....tesarecool4.jpg
proof of such things
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#8 SewerCow

SewerCow

The gayest straight man ever

• Senior Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

I honestly don't think it will affect me, but my kids, when they are about 60 MAYBE just maybe it will affect them. It is just an ongoing thing that people say "oh it will happen soon" but I doubt it will happen in our lifetime.
user posted image
Muchas Gracias DJShamrock for the sig. :)

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven. -Deus Ex: The Conspiracy

I'm not killing anyone, I'm just enjoying my second amendment right. -The one and only, your's truly-

When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth. -Dawn of the Dead-

#9 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• 1,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

actually it could cause crops to die of heat. it could starve a world. the same world you are in.

would you get food if there was only food enough in the world to feed a few hundred million people?
user posted image
- Thomas Jefferson

#10 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:49 PM

It will affect alot of things. Land masses will melt and cause floods diplacing hundreds of millions. If thought Katrina was bad, this would be a disaster.

#11 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

thanks for looking at the facts and not taking a reactionist stance on the issue, guys. rolleyes.gif
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#12 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE(chuckybob @ Nov 28 2006, 06:45 PM)
thanks for looking at the facts and not taking a reactionist stance on the issue, guys.  rolleyes.gif

If the land floods millions of people would be displaced and homeless. You have to see that movie man, it explains alot.

#13 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:52 AM

Evolution, Peak Oil, Global Warming...all are theories, but seemingly sound ones with (so far) compelling evidence supporting their validity. But how accurate is the science? Do we have all or most of the relevant facts? With new sources of energy, new uses, better conservation - having the world of genomics and proteomics start producing bugs that directly produce energy by converting various plants into fuels - science can devise/invent some excellent fixes, if we have the will, money and time....

Unfortunately, there's a LOT of "Junk Science" floating around, and there are politicians & lobbyists tweaking statistics & other data to support the "Truth" as they would like it spun.

Check out Junkscience.com "All The Junk That's Fit To De-bunk":

The Real 'Inconvenient Truth'
Greenhouse, global warming - and some facts

http://www.junkscience.com/Greenhouse/
user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#14 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• 1,148 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:06 PM

http://www.vg.no/pub...bs?artid=169401

farmers pull edible carrots out of ground usually frosen solid and covered by half a meter snow.
user posted image
- Thomas Jefferson

#15 nimbus1951

nimbus1951

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(magnetmannen @ Nov 25 2006, 08:53 AM)
edit: actually try switching to electric wehicles.

... and transfer the polution to the power plants instead. I don't want to hear one word about electricity being better until someone makes fusion power available.

And one more thing; private vehicles aren't the problem. Look to the industry if you want to see the major problem.

Edited by nimbus1951, 29 November 2006 - 04:37 PM.

user posted image
nim·bus, n. pl. nim·bi (-B) or nim·bus·es
1) A cloudy radiance said to surround a classical deity when on earth.
2) A radiant light that appears usually in the form of a circle or halo about or over the head in the representation of a god, demigod, saint, or sacred person such as a king or an emperor.
3) A splendid atmosphere or aura, as of glamour, that surrounds a person or thing.
4) Also a Danish built motorcycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users