60 replies to this topic

#16 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Nov 29 2006, 03:38 AM)
QUOTE(chuckybob @ Nov 28 2006, 06:45 PM)
thanks for looking at the facts and not taking a reactionist stance on the issue, guys.  rolleyes.gif

If the land floods millions of people would be displaced and homeless. You have to see that movie man, it explains alot.

oh i see.. kind of like how if we dont fight terrorists, the u.s. will become a muslim police state and everyone who doesnt convert will be executed by the 1,000 or so members of al-queda?

theres this thing called appeal to sympathy thats really useful in swaying people's oppinions, im guessing gore used a lot of that.
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#17 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:02 PM

Yeah that arguement doesn't hold up because there is no proof of the terrorist thing, but there is proof global warming exists.

I guess you should watch the movie and that make up your mind. I was skeptical until I was bombarded with a shit ton of evidence supporting global warming. You got to make up your mind for yourself.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#18 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:48 AM

http://www.greenpeac...er-in-princ.jpg

http://fixco1.com/xbush911.jpg

proof in pictures, mmm?
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#19 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:47 AM

OK...proof in pictures:

user posted image
user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#20 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

rofl <3

#21 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

It's really amazing how much the corporations have brainwashed you CB. Just about every single scientist, the EPA and now even Bush himself are convinced global warming is real. The only ones who are against it are big industry and big oil. They have been trying to confuse people for a long time on this, looks like they succeeded.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#22 SewerCow

SewerCow

The gayest straight man ever

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(magnetmannen @ Nov 28 2006, 11:11 AM)
actually it could cause crops to die of heat. it could starve a world. the same world you are in.

would you get food if there was only food enough in the world to feed a few hundred million people?

Hell yes I would, because we are in AMERICA!!
user posted image
Muchas Gracias DJShamrock for the sig. :)

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven. -Deus Ex: The Conspiracy

I'm not killing anyone, I'm just enjoying my second amendment right. -The one and only, your's truly-

When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth. -Dawn of the Dead-

#23 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Nov 30 2006, 02:37 PM)
It's really amazing how much the corporations have brainwashed you CB. Just about every single scientist, the EPA and now even Bush himself are convinced global warming is real. The only ones who are against it are big industry and big oil. They have been trying to confuse people for a long time on this, looks like they succeeded.

http://en.wikipedia....ing_controversy

and as an only semi-serious aside,
manbearpig

Edited by chuckybob, 01 December 2006 - 06:32 AM.

#24 nimbus1951

nimbus1951

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

Be careful trusting video material like that. You all know how much it can be twisted. I'm not saying it's all a lie but I'm pretty convinced there are gifted people that could make a counter video that would turn peoples opinion the other way.

But the discussion wether global warming exists or not is not my problem. I'm just so pissed that we f.ex. here in denmark keep taxing fuel and making it harder and harder in many ways to drive a car. It's rediculous, first of all because the cars aren't the problem (as I said earlier, the industry is) and second because we here in Denmark contribute a LOT less than many many other places in the world........ *cough*america*cough*!

I mean, my brothers car is top technology and drives 21km per litre diesel (too lazy to convert to miles but it's a lot) whilst cars in the eastern part of the world practically pumps burned petrol directly into the air and other countries (*cough*america*cough*) drive big heavy cars with big strong engines when they could do with a lot less.

Boottom line... noone does anything where it's needed the most - it's always poor Mr. nobody that gets all the beatings.
user posted image
nim·bus, n. pl. nim·bi (-B) or nim·bus·es
1) A cloudy radiance said to surround a classical deity when on earth.
2) A radiant light that appears usually in the form of a circle or halo about or over the head in the representation of a god, demigod, saint, or sacred person such as a king or an emperor.
3) A splendid atmosphere or aura, as of glamour, that surrounds a person or thing.
4) Also a Danish built motorcycle.

#25 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(nimbus1951 @ Dec 1 2006, 04:19 PM)
I mean, my brothers car is top technology and drives 21km per litre diesel (too lazy to convert to miles but it's a lot) whilst cars in the eastern part of the world practically pumps burned petrol directly into the air and other countries (*cough*america*cough*) drive big heavy cars with big strong engines when they could do with a lot less.

21km = ~16 miles = ~what our big heavy american cars with big strong engines get

#26 nimbus1951

nimbus1951

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(chuckybob @ Dec 1 2006, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE(nimbus1951 @ Dec 1 2006, 04:19 PM)

21km = ~16 miles = ~what our big heavy american cars with big strong engines get

Don't even try that...

Jeep cherokee or wrangler just as an example are both well below 10km per litre.

A 4 litre 6 cylinder (which is the minimum) can never be compared to 3 cylinder 1.4 litre.

And as my brother just pointed out it's more than this. His old car, a porsche 911, had a 3.2 litre 6 cylinder and many many HP's... it ran 9 km per litre... why? Because it was efficient and lightweight.

It's no use to defend cars like these jeeps.

Politicians in Denmark see this excessive use and then try to save the world single handedly... which means automotive users in Denmark gets a kick in the balls.

PS. Yes, politicians in Denmark are stupid.... but that's just how it is.

Edited by nimbus1951, 01 December 2006 - 08:24 PM.

user posted image
2) A radiant light that appears usually in the form of a circle or halo about or over the head in the representation of a god, demigod, saint, or sacred person such as a king or an emperor.
3) A splendid atmosphere or aura, as of glamour, that surrounds a person or thing.

#27 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:45 PM

oops, i didnt convert gallons to litres after doing the kilometer conversion.

after adjustment, thats (well call it) 60+ MPG, very impressive, but im guessing its a much newer diesal, perhaps one of those VW's with a supercharger and a turbo?

literage doesnt neccessarily equate to actual miles per gallon. an excellent example is the rx-8 rotary engine with 1.3 litres making ~150 hp/litre (~125kw?) (iirc) while getting 18/25 MPG in comparison with a ford mustang which gets a little more power (but less power per liter) out of a 4.6 litre engine while getting 17/25 MPG.

you also have to consider the influence diesal fuel has on the fuel economy ratings. diesal has always provided better fuel economy then gasoline/petrol. an excellent example are newer BMW petrols which are just slightly better then most of what america has to offer in similar class brackets.

diesal cars are very uncommon over here because of some apprehension caused by poor build quality in the 70s, ive heard. as a result, diesal fueled cars are limited more by practicality of finding diesal pump stations then by buyer preference. we have plenty of hippies and just plain economicly-thinking people who would be trading their priuses for diesals tomorrow if there were more places that pumped it.

btw, dont try to play the victim here, this is a case of poor mr. nobody beating himself and then claiming it was the big guy with the shifty eyes.

Edited by chuckybob, 01 December 2006 - 10:46 PM.

#28 nimbus1951

nimbus1951

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:11 PM

Well, it's not like I voluntarily pay one of the worlds highest gas prices... dry.gif

And yes diesel if better and yes never turbo engines are great etc. etc.... so start making them! Make it more profitable for companies to make this kind of cars, make it easier etc etc. It's political decisions.....

It's not a job for you as an individual, neither are you to blame entirely. The one's that are really to blame are the politicians. And why don't they act then? Because noone wants to be the bad guy.

Here in Denmark ppl are used to being treated similar to the old eastern blocks... we have so much shit it reminds me of stasi or a communist dictatorship - all of it camoflaged by political correctness.
We are oh so good here in Denmark (sarcasm, but sad truth), so good we can hear the angles fart... that does however mean that we pay 180% tax on cars and sky high gas prices.

Someone needs to find the line in between.

You should come to Denmark once and experience how fucking expensive living is here. It's tireing and sometimes make me go [rant][/rant].
user posted image

#29 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

id give denmark a shot if i could afford the plane ticket tongue.gif

#30 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:27 AM

Back on Nov 24th I posted a link on SSOTD about wingnut conservatives going off on the new children's animated penguin feature Happy Feet, which somehow got spun off into a global warming debate.

Now, Dec 4th, more right wing conservatives are weighing in on the evils of this movie. Worth reading because, yes, there are folks who somehow have a voice and an audience that's listening, drooling, eagerly anticipating and hanging on to every fart, if their masters would but give them the go ahead to enforceDisciplineor better yet, DESTROY the film "Unclean! Heresy!"

But fear not, proud rightists - despite some epic setbacks for the conservative movement in recent weeks, Michael Medved has the solution to your woes. He's going after animated penguins.

Faced with the bowel-shaking prospect that people have stopped listening to them, conservative pundits like Medved are becoming increasingly desperate. If you need proof, check out his review of the new children's movie "Happy Feet", which according to Warner Bros. is a "comedy adventure set in the land of the Emperor Penguins in the heart of Antarctica."

Despite scoring a respectable 76% on RottenTomatoes.com (the movie review aggregator), Medved says that "Happy Feet" is in fact "the darkest, most disturbing feature length animated film ever offered by a major studio." And why's that? Let's do a quick review of his review and see just how far down the rabbit hole conservatives have gone.

Medved: There's (...) a bizarre anti-religious bias operating unmistakably and gratuitously in the film. The penguin protagonist (known as "Mumbles Happy Feet") finds himself harshly treated by the aged leaders of the flock, who worship a false God called "the Great Wind" and decry and persecute anyone who dares to challenge their "sacred" traditions.

Okay, let me see if I can understand this. As Medved describes them, the penguins in charge are a bunch of zealots who persecute anyone who doesn't believe the same thing they do. The hero of the movie stands up to them. But Medved thinks that's a bad thing? I don't get it.

Medved: As in so many other recent films, there's a subtext that appears to plead for endorsement of gay identity. Mumbles (the voice of Elijah Wood) displeases his parents and the leaders of his community because he's born different, and makes an impassioned plea that he can't possibly change - and they should accept him as he is.

The movie suggests that people should be accepted for who they are? That is absolutely shocking and totally unlike any other children's movie ever made!

Apparently the children's movies in Medved's collection are all about conforming to accepted stereotypes, burying your true identity, and not rocking the boat. No doubt "Happy Feet" would have a much better message for kids if Mumbles just shut up and obeyed the "aged leaders" who "worship a false God" and "decry and persecute anyone who dares to challenge their 'sacred' traditions." Three cheers for religious extremism!

Medved: The propagandistic theme suggests that the biggest menace for the lovable penguins is the human race --- stealing the fish on which the birds depend, or ruining planet earth through pollution and global warming.

How awful. Teaching little kids that pollution and global warming are bad is just plain wrong. Listen up, conservatives: every one of you who accidentally takes your kids to see this dreadful propaganda piece should immediately un-brainwash them by forcing them to toss litter all over the street as they exit the theater. That'll show those Hollyweird liberals!

Medved: At least 80% of the film's running time shows its penguin characters in pain or danger. Scenes of terrifying leopard seals and killer whales trying to devour the protagonist and his friends are so intense as to guarantee nightmares.

I'm not sure why Medved thinks this is so terrible. Going by his other comments it sounds like those gay, environmentalist-wacko, people-hating, secularist penguins deserve everything they get.

http://journals.demo...d.com/top10/270
user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users