• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• [Colossus]> Colossus Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:03 AM

this is a snippet of text from half life 2.

"One concept mod authors may get excited about is the "Warehouse." In the past, each level designer would not only create their own levels, but often their own props for the map as well. The result was that a chair in one area of Half-Life might not always look the same as a chair somewhere else. Not only does this present consistency issues, but also resulted in level designers duplicating work.

This time around, Valve has dedicated people creating props for each level, storing them in what's best described as a virtual-3D Hollywood backlot where every type of texture, piece of world geometry, or object for that part of the world can be found. In doing so, creating a level almost becomes like a version of The Sims -- pop into the warehouse, find what you need, and use it in your level. Best of all, Valve is planning to make these Warehouses available to mod authors, which we expect the community will take to immediately. "

im gonna make a bunsh of stuf for this. i hope all modders will agree on sending stuff in to a "modders warehouse" so that this can be the game that has us occupied for the nex 5 years, or atleast 3....

user posted image
"He who trades liberty for security deserves neither and will lose both."
- Thomas Jefferson

#2 Darkside

Darkside

omg hl2 = teh delayed

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:03 PM

That sounds like a pretty cool concept. I'm good at the Sims. Maybe I can start mapping!

#3 Sitniz

Sitniz

Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:25 PM

Sounds a little to me like just another prefab collection. I don't know... seeing the same stuff over and over could be boring.

#4 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:28 PM

I guess that depends on how much stuff we're talking about.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#5 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:41 PM

well seeing as how valve as ppl dedicated to it, and the vast variety of stuff in HL2 we can be assured that there will be all kinds of cool stuff.
but even still, the point of them is for other map makers to make/expand on them, and share them. saving other ppls times and helping the community succeed.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Mutamba Studios PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE!!

#6 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• 1,148 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 04:24 PM

i think im gonna make a car for it.
user posted image
- Thomas Jefferson

#7 [Guest]»Chewcky_*

[Guest]»Chewcky_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:43 PM

Make a moose, like the ones you can shoot with a rifle, but they dont die cause they were never alive to begin with.

#8 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:49 PM

AWW YEAH, ZOMBIE MOOSE ON THE LOoSE!

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#9 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Chewcky @ Feb 3 2004, 02:43 PM)
Make a moose, like the ones you can shoot with a rifle, but they dont die cause they were never alive to begin with.

hey, you racist to me? cuz im canadian, you, you, you just think you can pick on me cuz we have 'meese' here? thats it isnt it eh? you racist!
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#10 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:11 PM

Canadians aren't a race you krazy kanuck.

#11 magnetmannen

magnetmannen

• 1,148 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:35 PM

nøu nøu, it is nøøt ei møøse, it is ei reinsdyr, nøt ei møøse, ju haf to ønderstandj, tat de møøse is møtsj møtsj biggar.
user posted image
- Thomas Jefferson

#12 Pinback

Pinback

Citadel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:00 PM

Slippery Canadians...

Sounds like a very interesting idea, if they can get it to work.
user posted image

#13 2d-chris

2d-chris

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:21 AM

this is the way all new games are being created, as bsp based objects take allot longer and ae harder for a game engine to render.

yes hl2 will come with a HUGE selection of props for you to use, any decent world modeler/uv's/skinner can make these.

Anything that looks detailed will be a prop/mesh/model/prefab. You should be looking at something around 3-5 world mesh creators for your mods.. its that important wink.gif

#14 Maxx

Maxx

Lord Kramer

• GCN Staff
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 05:05 AM

no really stupid head...

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#15 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (2d-chris @ Feb 25 2004, 06:21 AM)
this is the way all new games are being created, as bsp based objects take allot longer and ae harder for a game engine to render.

yes hl2 will come with a HUGE selection of props for you to use, any decent world modeler/uv's/skinner can make these.

Anything that looks detailed will be a prop/mesh/model/prefab. You should be looking at something around 3-5 world mesh creators for your mods.. its that important wink.gif

Well they should do this for some things but only if it is the same as just having it as a bsp object. (better pre-rendered shadows on bsp objects)
Ya, rly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users