the size limits in HL2 maps yet?

#2 SLAYER

SLAYER

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 02:10 AM

Not yet. i sure hope they can support large maps though, I'm sick of 20 loading points for one stinking hl1 level, and I want to have large NO LOAD maps in athis mod i am drafting up, to keep the gameplay alive/nonstop you know?
user posted image

#3 ice_cube

ice_cube

Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 02:27 AM

one stinking hl1 level

i cannot remember seeing that in HL? (not the sp)

#4 SLAYER

SLAYER

Zombie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 04:04 AM

I admit that was exagerated abit, but what I'm trying to stress is that map loading points can distract from gameplay by killing the energy. Half life had some parts that were really close inbetween loading popts, and so did blue shift.
user posted image

#5 Nay

Nay

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 01:38 PM

AS i am a halflife map developer at the moment judging from the halflife2 videos the grid size looks like it may be up to twice as big, i`m pretty sure the grids will be bigger than the current size, hopefully then giving the ability to create large open viewable areas, which halflife 1 lacked in.

Most of all thinking about some of the possabilities which people could do with halflife2 is quite breath taking right now, personally I cant wait to map some things I have always wanted to do in halflife 1 but have not been able to do, I am looking forward to seeing some excellent designs in halflife2
www.nay.cscentral.com

#6 monkeyget

monkeyget

HeadCrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 02:33 PM

It's probably gonna be a lot bigger (there are vehicules). But from what i read they'll still use the little map/lot of changelevel system.
user posted image

#7 ice_cube

ice_cube

Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 09:11 PM

got this from the Gamespot audio interview (found it on the HalfLife2 Forums , page 2)

Seamless transitions in space. Where you don't ever want to go get some coffee. The world should feel as seamless and continuous as possible. And idealy we should structure the autosaves so that you're not always thinking about quicksaving and quickloading: you're going to trust us. This is something that I think Miyamoto does really well: you can trust his game design.

WEE that means no level loading time(or at least not much level loading time)

#8 M60_Gunner

M60_Gunner

Manhack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 06:44 PM

you remeber the first big boss guy with the 3 heads?

whenever you went in and out of half the doors leading to him it would load!
user posted image
"an argument online is like the special olympics. Whether you win or lose, you're still a retard."

#9 ice_cube

ice_cube

Strider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 12:48 PM

What is the maximum map size for Half-Life 2?

The maximum map size is currently set at +/-16384 (16x the lateral space of Half-Life 1, 64x overall space). It will take several minutes to cross the map in a vehicle.

found at the collective , the mod tools FAQ
i guess this closes the discussion?

#10 M60_Gunner

M60_Gunner

Manhack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 04:24 PM

damnit i was just gonna post that! mad.gif
user posted image
"an argument online is like the special olympics. Whether you win or lose, you're still a retard."

#11 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

the problem with making one giant map is that memory useage would be through the roof. for singleplayer maps, you have loading zones every now and again to keep it playable.
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#12 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:03 PM

chuckybob, you do realize the post ahead of this one is like, 2 years old?

but we did find it to be true, source maps are SMALLLL
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users