15 replies to this topic

#1 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:34 AM

title states it all. what do you think of everything we have done, where we have gone so far. I will state my feelings after several responses.
Ya, rly.

#2 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:02 AM

I think the CMS is ingenios, but I cant be fucked using it. The multi-game site idea was good. But if a site as large as halflife2.net failed at it what chance did we stand? I have been told of Shammys master plan, and it sounds like the best idea yet, considering its what our site does best wink.gif
user posted image

#3 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:11 AM

what? what the fuck do we do anyways? mmmmm...transporter too
user posted image

#4 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:08 AM

i think at the moment, you guys are far too focused on implementing new technologies without fixing the bugs of the old system. for instance, theres apparently a wiki now, which doesnt seem like something any forums would need, its just a neat toy. in the mean time, most of the new post/no new post icons are jumbled to the point that when the icons were changed from the glowing type to the red type, it only changed most of the icons. coffee room / showcase / politics forums still have the glowing icon for new posts. also, the main forum page doesnt update with the viewed posts sometimes, so you cant accurately see what topics youve read and what you havent.

from what ive gathered about the more games idea (basicly, you guys saying that you were expanding the games covered) it sounds fan fucking tasmic to the maximum, but with more complexity comes more need for an efficient user interface. i check the forums through the main forum link, and if game central network comes to incorporate 100 forums, its going to get complex to the point where people will avoid it unless you guys take steps to clean up the user interface. i think being able to subscribe to certain forums and not others would be a huge step in the right direction. for instance, i dont give two shits about bfcn, itd be nice to disable viewing of that particular forums area in user options so that i dont have to scroll down quite as much to check for new posts when i log on. that one simple feature would help keep the forum experience user-friendly when the network expands.

administration has been great (no downtimes that i can even remember), i love where moderating is at (loose but existant), and the news section is coming along ok, but it could use much more information. i remember back in the heyday of hl2c, people would link to content exclusives on other sites. you need to start doing that again. not only does it provide much more content then youre getting now through official press releases and shit, but it helps build a sense of community through the mod sites and helps the site live up to the name of game central NETWORK.
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#5 magebomb

magebomb

Gabe Newell

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

i enjoy the relaxed mods.
i sometimes get buried in menus trying to find the coffee room.

i only use the forum.
the main page seems to have old "articles" with poor spelling/grammar.

NOTE: if this post was crap, it's because you all have not been exciting enough lately, and well...someone has to be. stfu about crap not being exciting.

#6 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:53 PM

ive said it a buttload, the lack of graphial content on the main page is a real turnoff, also, to see news, i clik "read more" then it takes me to another page with the eact same content, just an etra sentence or two, just a very brief description, and a link to the artial on another site. you can print up to 10% of the article, and if you posted a couple thumbnails, it would me much more convienient.

bf support is really non eistant, i dunno of a single interview etc with a mod since the new gn was established. As a modder, I normally registered on sites that reported news on mods i was in so i could respond to comments. Imagine, gaining 3 new members with every news post on other mods, from fans who want to comment, to team members who want to respond, at least 3. then we entertain them and keep them around.

I dunno whats in the plans, but something is always in the plans. gcn was in the works for a year, and it was a good idea, but supporting the games etc, just didn't happen, no interviews, or really not any mod news was ever posted, if it was, it took you directly from the site.

In graphi design, we studied how your composition should not lead the viewers eye away from the ad your creating. same thing with websites. To get any other information, you need to go to sites that this site links to. As a news site, gcn should provde all the news that a viewer should need.

hell, give me staff position, I can get you interviews. I talked to one mod already about it, but its very odd to say "yea im not staff but i want to do an interview"

we could get NMRIH interviews, insurgency interviews, cerebrus protocol interviews, hell I would even try to contact game devs to interview them just in order to get more information on the industry. of ourse i would need a new keyboard.

I would be careful about trying something new, when what we have hasn;t been given 100% effort to make it succeed.
user posted image

#7 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

I have an idea, I already explained what I want to do with Brent and Coyote. I just can't elaborate yet becuase it still in the planning stages. I have the design done for the most part, but I guess I need to communicate with Brent about how to impliment the design.

Again. GCN was not my idea. The only reason we have GCN the way it is was because we were rushed into it. We had a shitty host who said "I'll host you for free" and as soon as we signed up he started throwing up ads, and making unrealistic demands. It was not fun. Well I am paying for hosting now. And even though its may cost me some money it's sooooo worth it. I have time to do this shit and do it right. I am not pressuring anybody here either. When my vision of our site is implimented I think our staff will be excited to work here. They will want to, just because it's fun, not really work. It's still a ways off. I have been trying to nail dowm my idea into somehting simple, easy and fun. I complicated network is not fun. By the time you get to where you want to go, your are tired and bored.

The mods know where I stand on this. GCN was not my idea, it was handed to me. I couldn't change direction. Brent worked too hard on Sman's idea of where he wanted to go. It's not working. I mean it's working but its not. The only thing that's worked is keeping our community together. Kinda.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#8 magebomb

magebomb

Gabe Newell

• Senior Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:28 PM

thanks for the moneys shammeh.

NOTE: if this post was crap, it's because you all have not been exciting enough lately, and well...someone has to be. stfu about crap not being exciting.

#9 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

what you meen kinda? magebomb is here, who needs anyone else?

mage, an you get us an interview with valve?
user posted image

#10 magebomb

magebomb

Gabe Newell

• Senior Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:14 AM

Yeah, but that'd ruin my semi-secret identity....
besides, what else could you possibly want to know?

#11 magebomb

magebomb

Gabe Newell

• Senior Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:23 AM

i guess you could make a list of questions but i doubt anything would be interesting. i sound like a jerk, cool.

but really..the games out...i could probably answer any q's you had, or google..or stuff

#12 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:22 AM

Don't bother with interviews or news or any of that shit. We aren't concerned.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#13 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• 4,257 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:39 AM

i want to ask them things no one else does . like how many employees they have, whats their annual operating budget, whats their facilities for employees and operating costs, whats the size of gabes penis. important questions like that
user posted image

#14 magebomb

magebomb

Gabe Newell

• Senior Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:03 AM

http://biz.yahoo.com...119/119351.html

as far as the budget, it is not concrete. money is allocated as needed.

operating costs? iunno, FOIA their income taxes or something.

They operate out of an entire floor of a skyscraper, with steam taking up half a floor [I believe] 1 floor below them.

WTF? Financial questions?

http://www.hoovers.c...factsheet.xhtml
a lot of the same info there.

Edited by magebomb, 12 January 2006 - 03:11 AM.

#15 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:53 AM

Mage, if I find out you are really Gabe Newell...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users