18 replies to this topic

#1 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:46 AM

Now is a crucial point to deciding our future we are relatively open to many suggestions and we are about to launch the websites.

Let us know now or forever hold your peace!
Ya, rly.

#2 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:21 PM

an easy tutorial section, kinda like the cms. Like today when i posted the be update, i had to do all the little thumbs and everything manually under the http tab, and it was a pain. It would be cool if you had something like : browse for thumbnail, Browse for larger image, so that people can make thumbs that link to larger images.

Promoting a tutorial section would be really important for a site such as this, because when a game comes out thats moddable, people immediatly go looking for tutorials. if your the first to have them, then you'll get and keep that trafic biggrin.gif.

but make sure every member can use it, and that theres already plenty of sections where they cna start linking or filling up the tutorials themselves.

user posted image

#3 nimbus1951

nimbus1951

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:12 PM

I'm not quite sure if this is exactly whatyou're seeking but I've been thinking about mapping/modeling/skinning/other tuts.

I remember my tiem as a hl1 mapper. I used tuts all the time. Not only to learn, but also because I often couldn't remember what was what and what went where...
However there are a lot of tuts already on the net, so it's also a questin if it's really needed. Do any of you guys have the feeling that there's something you feel you could deal with in a better way?
I did once offer my help as to make tuts or hl1 mapping, but I later on found out I might not be that good at it. It's been a looong time since I mapped for hl1.
Anyway... just think about it.
user posted image
nim·bus, n. pl. nim·bi (-B) or nim·bus·es
1) A cloudy radiance said to surround a classical deity when on earth.
2) A radiant light that appears usually in the form of a circle or halo about or over the head in the representation of a god, demigod, saint, or sacred person such as a king or an emperor.
3) A splendid atmosphere or aura, as of glamour, that surrounds a person or thing.
4) Also a Danish built motorcycle.

#4 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:48 PM

We're currently having problems with Game Tech Central because I can handle the hardware and tech news / articles but I don't really know much about the editing aspect.

I was struggling to think of possible people to recruit for the task, but Nimbus' comment made me realise that certain people know bits about certain areas, and it seems to me that it would be better to have a community approach to articles. When it comes to content, often it's quality AND quantity that makes people choose a specific site.

Maybe we could even adopt a kind of Wikipedia approach where people update and ammend existing articles, but that may not be technically possible / feasible. Nerd would be able to answer that one.

#5 polyguns

polyguns

Freeman's Owner

• [On thin ice] Stupid Prisoner People
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

yea thats what i meant, members using the tutorial creation aspect.

But look at hl2 world. They'll havea tutorial on exporting a model from hl2, but it stopps there, to find out anything else, you need to search. I remember i spent days looking for maya tuts for hl2, only to find none i could use and my exporter didn't work with my version of maya anyways. Better would be a tutorial system that links through the total process, from creation, to exporting, to importing.

The staff won't have time to do all the work, but the community could. You can also have links to other tutorials as well that are on the internet, but they should be displayed in order like i said "creation, exportation, importation into the engine."

most tutorial sections are broken into "modelling, animating, coding, mapping" but if your a modder, and along in your creation, you want to be able to fine one resource, that will give you an easy to follow step by step process leading to getting your content ingame.
I want tutorials that don't stop at he end of modelling, it goes on to "now this is how you use the tool, and this is how you code to get your model ingame."

Also, a "Tools" section would be great, with links to tools like exporters, freeware modelling and texturing programs.

Other things I would like to see on the new site are : comprehensive game reviews, Interviews with industry professionals and mod creators, and a featured mod section.
user posted image

#6 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(polyguns @ May 20 2005, 08:11 PM)
most tutorial sections are broken into "modelling, animating, coding, mapping" but if your a modder, and along in your creation, you want to be able to fine one resource, that will give you an easy to follow step by step process leading to getting your content ingame.
I want tutorials that don't stop at he end of modelling, it goes on to "now this is how you use the tool, and this is how you code to get your model ingame."

That's what I like about the Wiki approach - someone writes part of it and someone else finishes it off. That way articles should be more comprehensive with fewer errors.

Also, a "Tools" section would be great, with links to tools like exporters, freeware modelling and texturing programs.

I was thinking of having things like that, yes. Plus other things like tech demos, tuneup utilities and possibly drivers.

Other things I would like to see on the new site are : comprehensive game reviews, Interviews with industry professionals and mod creators, and a featured mod section.

Do you mean mod reviews not game reviews? If so, these will be handled by the relevant site (e.g. HL2C, BFC etc). Interviews are on the agenda. Again, featured mods are likely to be a feature of their respective site.

#7 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:25 PM

we already have plans to actually write our own content, and to do our best at archiving all there is for HL2 and BF. Aside from that the basic files you would need for all other games (patches, map packs, whatever else you guys get to us)
Ya, rly.

#8 mathieumg

mathieumg

Citadel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:33 AM

Please put easily distinctable forum images for when read or not. Because now I never know if a forum has been read or not.
user posted image

#9 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(mathieumg @ May 21 2005, 12:33 PM)
Please put easily distinctable forum images for when read or not. Because now I never know if a forum has been read or not.

Yeah, I requested that too. It's on the to-do list.

#10 Darkside

Darkside

omg hl2 = teh delayed

• GCN Staff
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:11 PM

This may seem nitpicky, but it would be better if the edit, quote, etc buttons were at the top of a post rather than the bottom. Pretty much every other forum I've seen does them on the top, and I get all confused here sad.gif

#11 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:32 PM

invision power board has always had them at the bottom and most skins for IPB leaves them at the bottom.
Ya, rly.

#12 SewerCow

SewerCow

The gayest straight man ever

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:35 PM

OOO I thought of one, could you make the links that people add in their posts bold, or at least stand out a bit more. I just run my cursor over a persons post if I think they added a link.
user posted image
Muchas Gracias DJShamrock for the sig. :)

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven. -Deus Ex: The Conspiracy

I'm not killing anyone, I'm just enjoying my second amendment right. -The one and only, your's truly-

When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth. -Dawn of the Dead-

#13 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

Is anyone else getting errors everytime they log on? Saying "If you don't know how to use this feature you should go home>" Or something. After I logon I have to press "find new posts" instead of automatically being directed to the boards.

This happens on my PC at work and home. It could really suck if you are a new user. Needs to be fixed pronto.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#14 Darkside

Darkside

omg hl2 = teh delayed

• GCN Staff
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(The PC Nerd @ May 21 2005, 09:32 AM)
invision power board has always had them at the bottom and most skins for IPB leaves them at the bottom.

Whatever you say, but pretty much every forum I go to has them at the top.

#15 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:43 PM

then the forums you go to must be bass ackwards...

Official IPB forums:
http://forums.invisi...howtopic=170448

Official Emule Board:
http://forum.emule-p...showtopic=59764

AMD:
http://forums.amd.co...showtopic=24218

Nvidia:
http://forums.nvidia...?showtopic=4244

NeoWin.net:
http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=309597

Gmail forums:
http://www.gmailforu...showtopic=12089