Photo

HL2C - Yes or No.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Should HL2C live?

Should HL2C live?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:47 PM

HL2Central is still a very well standing site that just needs quality in content to be revived. At this point I want to see it be a success, and I have already put in $2500 of work into developing the website, shrugging off real opportunities to make money.

Right now I found 12 mods with updates for the month of august that were not shown on the other news sites. 12 good mods with promising results without really trying all that hard.

The new site is designed to "peel" other websites news so that it can be edited and updated accordingly by humans without them doing the hide-and-seek half of the work.

Overall I think that HL2C should be kept alive, but I just want to see what you as the remaining community thinks.
Ya, rly.

#2 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:03 PM

the problem is building a community. we have literally no exposure, and i sincerely doubt other hl2 sites would alert their users to our presence and say that we have content that they don't, and moreover that they wouldn't just use HL2C as a gateway to fuel their own sites. that happened a lot in the old days, you know, HL2 sites would leech off eachother's news items.
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#3 SewerCow

SewerCow

The gayest straight man ever

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:20 AM

I like this place but seriously, if it is a huge money burden on you guys to keep it alive I would say no. If you don't mind spending money on it I would say keep it here, a lot of history and memories have been with that HL2C.

Edited by SewerCow, 03 September 2007 - 06:20 AM.

user posted image
Muchas Gracias DJShamrock for the sig. :)

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven. -Deus Ex: The Conspiracy

I'm not killing anyone, I'm just enjoying my second amendment right. -The one and only, your's truly-

When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth. -Dawn of the Dead-

#4 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:59 AM

Its not that bad.

Seriously though think about the other hl2 sites. A couple are huge networks that are designed ground up to be networked mega-sites. Then the rest are all forum-based software where forum posts become news on the main page and articles are submitted as forum posts.

There isnt really anything complicated behind any of them resulting in a bland experience.
Ya, rly.

#5 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:01 AM

the big question is, what's going to make them leave the communities where they're established and come here?
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#6 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:12 AM

It doesnt matter if they are established in a community. If they see full coverage of all mod news, all of the mod downloads, and all of the game information they have to come here.
Ya, rly.

#7 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:37 AM

Until HL3 comes out, I don't think we need another HL2 site. The game is old. The expansion are cool but shit I don't want want a fan site for a game. We alreay decided that and tried that and we got like 12 active members right now.

If we can keep HL2c for nastolgic reasons someone here has to run it and post. I can't sdo everything and I am no HL2 modder or anything. It's going to be hard enough managing content for the new website.

I like www.Sites-Of-The Day.com but whatever.

I love the spot.

I used to Rap at a nightclub called the Country Club and every Friday we had a thing there called The Spot and shittons of peeps would stand in line to pay $20 to get in.

If I ever start my own club is will called THe Emergency Room. The bar would be the pharmacy and shot girls in burses outfits with little test tube filled with shots. The bouncers would be orderlies and if you pass out we carry you out on a gurnie.

Best part, medical wristbands so if you get pulled over and the cop asks why you werre driving all bad you can show him the wristband and say you were at the emergency room.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#8 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:26 AM

I agree. HL2 came out a long time ago. It is original content that will draw people to the site, whatever that content turns out to be in the end. We need quality stuff that people are going to want link to. Maybe Shamrock's Sites of the Day could be a daily news post in the format of Blue's News perhaps, to avoid it getting lost in the forum. We also have a lot of talented Photoshop artists. I think if we targeted it correctly, we could steal a piece of the Something Awful pie. They have loads of visitors and they're pretty much doing what we're doing, writing amusing articles and opinion pieces. The only difference is that ours are getting lost.

The main draw is the community, not HL2. HL2 wasn't even out, yet people still came to the site. I came to this site because someone linked to some software I had written but the details were incorrect, so I signed up to correct them. I got hooked into the community and I'm still here 3 (or so) years later.

#9 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE(Jon @ Sep 4 2007, 03:26 AM)
I think if we targeted it correctly, we could steal a piece of the Something Awful pie. They have loads of visitors and they're pretty much doing what we're doing, writing amusing articles and opinion pieces. The only difference is that ours are getting lost.

lol no. as a member of a forum who's trying to take a slice of SA's pie, if you will invest all that you have into trying, youll still fail miserably. no. no no no no no. no.

no.

thats funny though.

Edited by chuckybob, 04 September 2007 - 05:34 AM.

#10 Brent

Brent

Freeman's Owner

• ^GCN Admins
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:00 AM

Yeah remember we are our own comedy and style. Dont compare yourself to any other website.

Thanks for the comments, I will abandon my current HL2C work and get back into the TCR progress. It takes a day to really get back into a different project.
Ya, rly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users