11 replies to this topic

#1 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

Just went to see this movie. Crazy is all I can say about it. I thoroughly recommend it.

#2 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

wut r u talkin a bout?
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#3 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(chuckybob @ Sep 30 2007, 05:14 AM)
wut r u talkin a bout?

Jon's talking about the new Jamie Foxx/Jennifer Garner/Chris Cooper FBI-investigation-terrorists-Saudi-actionpacked-blowup&shootup movie

Reviews
http://www.google.co...ct=reviews&cd=1

Trailer
http://www.apple.com...sal/thekingdom/

user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#4 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:11 AM

Sorry chuckybob, I didn't know how to describe it without spoiling it. It's similar in some ways to The Bourne Ultimatum, which was also a great movie, but this is a lot better. There are several scenes where things are blowing up left, right and center, bullets are spraying everywhere, people are shouting. It really shows the confusion of war and you genuinely believe that the characters could die at any moment, as opposed to some movies where it's obvious that they're going to be ok.

Edited by Jon, 01 October 2007 - 03:13 AM.

#5 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:53 AM

I heard nothing but great things about this movie. The last 30 minutes are supposed to be non-stop action.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

#6 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Oct 1 2007, 05:53 AM)
I heard nothing but great things about this movie. The last 30 minutes are supposed to be non-stop action.

Yep biggrin.gif

But it's not gratuitous.

#7 Dr. _B.

Dr. _B.

Freeman's Owner

• GCN Staff
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE(Jon @ Oct 1 2007, 01:43 PM)
But it's not gratuitous.

Not gratuitous? Damn. I like my movies to have shitloads of gratuitous sex 'n' violence! mad.gif

user posted image

- What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
- Life is like a sofa -- change comes from within.
- God loves you. He's just an abusive lover.
- Sometimes whatever doesn't kill you...can really piss you off for a heluva long time!
- Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#8 chuckybob

chuckybob

Freeman Himself

• GCN Staff
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(Dr. _B. @ Oct 2 2007, 05:32 AM)
QUOTE(Jon @ Oct 1 2007, 01:43 PM)
But it's not gratuitous.

Not gratuitous? Damn. I like my movies to have shitloads of gratuitous sex 'n' violence! mad.gif

qft
QUOTE(polyguns @ Dec 19 2005, 08:47 PM)
lol, philosophy majors were so funny in college. to have a degree in thinking you would think they would think how the fuck they would get a job thinking. but to think about it  i spent 6.5 years in college still no job in what i did; think about that!

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." -David Friedman

QUOTE(DJShamrock @ Jun 13 2006, 01:57 AM)
I remember when pussy was just awesome by itself. It was the best thing ever. Just when I thought it couldn't get better, BAM! They started landscaping it.

QUOTE(magebomb @ Oct 18 2006, 06:30 PM)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Give a man religion and he'll sit there, praying for fish, until he and his family starve to death.

#9 BLACK^WOLF

BLACK^WOLF

██▓▓▒▒░░

• Senior Members
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:06 AM

I just came back from it, one thing that it does better than some other types of these movies is that it shows the Arab side of things, but not really that well, which is sad, because we need more movies like Babel and Syriana.

The action is hard to explain, if you have seen Heat, its like that in terms of violence and the shootouts, one thing that did piss me off though, is that all movies that have Arabs say Allah, they translate it not as God like it should be, but to the actual Arab word, Allah, like it is some different god, when in reality it is the same god.

I loved the subtleties that the movie had such as one part in the film

--SPOILER--
where that one guy got abducted, and was being held captive, with a camera guy filming him, and a guy with a machete to his throat, he looks at the camera, (and if you spend time reading up on taped executions, its to show off the execution on the internet, like the previous executions, and the first terrorist attack in the movie) he realizes he wont be killed before its taped, so he kicks the stand on the camera, rather than trying to take out the guy behind him with the machete, to stall for more time.
-- END SPOILER --

#10 Coyote

Coyote

The Boy From Oz

• GCN Staff
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:09 AM

I'm gonna go see this next week. I agree BW not too many war films show the Arab world very well and agreed Babel was awesome.
user posted image

#11 Jon

Jon

Freeman Himself

• GTC Staff
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:44 PM

I hated Babel. In the trailer, it looked like a Middle East movie starring Brad Pitt and then you watch it and 90% of the movie is set in Japan, following these two deaf schoolgirls that are only loosely tied to the rest of the story. Wtf?

#12 DJShamrock

DJShamrock

Owner of GCN Network

• ^GCN Admins
  • 8,912 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:28 PM

I liked that part where McLovin got punched in the face.

My specs: 2x HIS HD 3850 IceQ 3 TurboX 512MB GDDR3... CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G OC'd to 3.5g dual MB GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 dual AM2 MEM 1Gx4|Kingston Hyperx... Sound Azuntech Prelude, 2x WD Raptors 10k rpm Raid 0.... Backup 300 gb Maxtor HD nd I think this machine gave me leukemia.user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users