66 replies to this topic

#16 Duo

Duo

Manhack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:39 PM

I think the No Hl2delay threads rule is still in effect...so whhhyyyy you have this urge to post these threads agianst the rule is beyond me
user posted image

#17 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 12:28 AM

Since the source code leak is far more severe than anticipated, HL2 could be delayed an entire year, maybe more.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#18 magebomb

magebomb

Gabe Newell

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 12:37 AM

this is not a hl2 delay thread! the date went from 2/02/03 to 12/03! its like..antidelay. only not...anti...delay.
NOTE: if this post was crap, it's because you all have not been exciting enough lately, and well...someone has to be. stfu about crap not being exciting.

#19 firerain

firerain

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (Emon @ Oct 3 2003, 04:28 PM)
Since the source code leak is far more severe than anticipated, HL2 could be delayed an entire year, maybe more.

why do you think that will they change the source or sometiong.

i think its not a big set back its not like they got it stolen from them and they dont have it any more. even if they delay it for a year to change source after a month or so after the game comes out there will be hacks so delaying it is not the answer.

i dont think they will delay it for a year.
user posted image
All your base are belong to me. Muhayahahaa

#20 Mephisto

Mephisto

Combine Soldier

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (firerain @ Oct 4 2003, 01:41 AM)
i think its not a big set back its not like they got it stolen from them and they dont have it any more. even if they delay it for a year to change source after a month or so after the game comes out there will be hacks so delaying it is not the answer.

These aren't Aimbots and Wallhacks we are talking about here, these are reaaaally serious hacks, as in changing values of stuff so people become invinsible and/or godlike hacks.

#21 DvS

DvS

Freeman Himself

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:31 AM

There may very well be a way to spike these... change some key code to make cheats incompatible.
user posted image
If you take all the world's religions and filter out the
controversies, one fact remains - God needs YOUR money.

#22 Mephisto

Mephisto

Combine Soldier

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:35 AM

eh, "some" key codes?! The whole Source is built up by those variables =\.
Also when they see how packets and information is sent to the client and back to the server making those hacks is alot easier, and they can't just redo that whole system, and if they do, i can guarantee you hl2 wont be out this year =\.

#23 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:37 AM

It's the fact that any kind of anti-cheat measures are compromised, Steam is entirely compromised, any kind of security at all is totally gone. It also looks bad for Valve, because, quite frankly, they made some really stupid mistakes. Their code tree was like, open to the internet, that was really, really stupid. They basically said, "Hey, hackers, here's our CVS repository! --->"

Worst case scenario, Valve goes out of business.
Clairvoyant, n. A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron, namely, that he is a blockhead.

#24 DvS

DvS

Freeman Himself

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:40 AM

Gawd, what kind of a fuckwits are these dudes that did this. If I'd find them... I'd have someone do something bad to them biggrin.gif

It's like the stupid kids in the movies that unknowingly cause a major catastrophe because they wanted something, makes you think... about what kind of life they have.. or lack thereof.
user posted image
If you take all the world's religions and filter out the
controversies, one fact remains - God needs YOUR money.

#25 BLACK^WOLF

BLACK^WOLF

██▓▓▒▒░░

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:46 AM

If I was a mod in teh HL2 discussions, i would close this tongue.gif
*points at all mods out there*

oh yeah, Valve has kept HL2 secret about it for 3+ years(if Im wrong, tell me), I think that they can keep secret about the release date/going gold for a while, in that time roomers got out, no one beleved them, this might be true, might not...

#26 Mephisto

Mephisto

Combine Soldier

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:48 AM

4 years... 5 years since hl1 came out now in november.

#27 BLACK^WOLF

BLACK^WOLF

██▓▓▒▒░░

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:50 AM

okay thanks wink.gif

#28 magebomb

magebomb

Gabe Newell

• Senior Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE (Emon @ Oct 3 2003, 07:37 PM)

right. like hl2 will flop. i think the most likely scenario is: hl2 comes out, and sells like crazy and its great.

quake got its source code stolen and theyre on q4 or whatever.

valve is made of millionaires, and have an amazing product.

so thats silly.
NOTE: if this post was crap, it's because you all have not been exciting enough lately, and well...someone has to be. stfu about crap not being exciting.

#29 TyRaNnY

TyRaNnY

• Senior Members
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE (magebomb @ Oct 4 2003, 03:23 AM)

right. like hl2 will flop. i think the most likely scenario is: hl2 comes out, and sells like crazy and its great.

so thats silly.

Ya I agree.
"You really get to know a man if you have to watch him die. The moment right before he realizes it's over...that moment that his face reflects every decision he's ever made. In that split second you know what kind of life he lived.....and if he regrets it."

-Sgt. Matt Baker.

user posted image

#30 Emon

Emon

Gunship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (magebomb @ Oct 3 2003, 10:23 PM)

so thats silly.

I said worst case scenario. Legal stuff is tricky. Havok sure isn't going to like this one bit. It's highly unlikely this would happen, but it's not impossible.

And the Quake source code was stolen after the game came out, and didn't have anything messy like Steam, where God knows how much money was put into. If what Valve said about using everything they made on HL for making HL2, and if a lof of that gets compromised, it's very possible Valve isn't going to be doing very well. Go out of business? No, not likely, not at all, but it's possible something goes bad in this legal mess, and it might happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users